Upgrading/building my pc HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tager, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Tager

Tager Private E-2

Hi
    I'm very green when it comes to hardware so please forgive my lack of knowledge about these things.

So I'm looking to upgrade my PC into a some-what decent gaming machine, I have a budget but I'm looking for the cheapest way to get my PC to run Battle Field BC2 on a medium and all WoW expansions on high resolutions

Here are my specs right now

YES, I know that my CPU is a big big BIG downer and I plan to invest to replace it, but I'm not sure about my motherboard and if I need to buy one that can support it and my current graphics card...please help me out there.

(COPIED FROM EVEREST)

CPU Type....... Intel Pentium 4 520, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)

Motherboard Name..... Intel West Branch D915GVWB (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)

Motherboard Chipset..... Intel Grantsdale-G i915GV

(RAM)System Memory...... 998 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

Communication Port...... ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Video Adapter...... NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (1024 MB)

3D Accelerator..... Intel GMA 900

let me know if you need to know anything else.

So I'm guessing that I'm going to need to buy a whole new motherboard and CPU and put it in my PC... but will my graphics card fit in the motherboard ?

I also plan on getting another 1-2GB of RAM
    I'm looking for suggestions on cheap, cost effective, decent gaming specs

thanks!

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Whet type of expansion slot does your video card use, AGP or PCI Express?

3. Tager

Tager Private E-2

Err, good question how could I find something like that out ? :-o

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

5. 94dgrif

94dgrif Corporal

I'm not a big gamer so I won't be able to help much on this thread, but to help speed things up, the next question people will be asking is: What version of Windows do you use? To find out:
    1. Hold the Start key on your keyboard and tap the Pause Break key.
    (1b. Alternatively go to Control Panel -> System)
    2. Tell us if it's Windows XP, Vista or 7
    3. Also look down further and tell us if it's a 32-bit or 64-bit Operating System

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds