Upgrading from Prescott 2.9 to 3.6ghz. need help w/cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 93SiHatch, Aug 12, 2005.

1. 93SiHatch

93SiHatch Guest

Hi. Im upgrading from my stock Prescott 2.93Eghz to a 3.6 Prescott. My system came with a HUGE Cooler Master HSF. Manufacturer says my stock HSF is good enough for my new CPU........ANY IDEAS?

My current 2.9 Prescott runs at 38-40 idle and about 67 in REAL heavy loads

IM NOT OVERCLOCKING AT ALL...

2. 93SiHatch

93SiHatch Guest

Wow cool HSFs, but wont they be a pain in the ass to install? I hear the last one you listed is really hard to install.......

3. 93SiHatch

93SiHatch Guest

Well I bought the PC off HP; this is the PC's original specs when I first bought it _----->> http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?ID=9747&C=7&P=SS

I dont think I need THAT big of a HSF though, since my room is always AC cooled and my CPU doesnt get as hot as some I've read in the forums.........but if you dont mind taking a look at the pics and letting me know whats best. thanks

I've upgraded RAm to a gig, as well as a big ass Radeon X800 XL in the PCI-E slot, so I dont think I have a lot of space....

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Hi m8 you dont have a pci-e slot,you have an agp slot ;) ,if you buy a standard intel cpu,it will come with a cooler just like the one you already have and a 3 year warranty,but this cooler is often not enough to cool down the cpu enough and can be noisy,I think you should first buy the new cpu install it,check your temps see how high they are and whether you can accept the amount of noise the fan makes then worry about buying a new heatsink ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds