Upgrading Memory on my Toshiba Satellite L30 - 10y psl33e

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhilHag, Apr 16, 2011.

1. PhilHag

PhilHag Private E-2

A couple of years ago i bought my Toshiba Satellite L30 - 10y psl33e, and decided i wanted to upgrade my memomy so i bouht a 512mb to go in with the original 512mb. it has worked fine ever since!

Now a year or so on i want to upgrade it again. so i looked on critical.com and had them scan my computer. I made a note of there recommendation and went along to my local pc world. as i didnt want to wait for their delivery.

I bought a interal ddr2 2gb memory card. and installed it but the laptop turns on but the screen remains blank! but when the old cards are replaced it works fine again.

Does anybody have any ideas please. i hae had a quick look in other threads and couldnt see my question answered.

i am not the best with computers but if it is explained i will be able to do it! thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Philhag and welcome to the forums

What is the exact make and model of the ram you bought, as much info as possible would be great (ram has many codes on it) and if you add the old ram back does the laptop work ok?

When your PC boots can you enter the BIOS at all or is the screen still the blank one from pressing the pwer button?

3. PhilHag

PhilHag Private E-2

HI David GP.

Yes the laptop works as normal when old RAM is put back in.
    And the BIOS? i have tried pressing f2 to access the memory but screen remains blank.

I bought a Integral DDR2 800mhz pc2-6400 memmory card.

This below is what is written on the card:-

IN2V2GNXNFI

J1110D

2GB DDR2-800

SODIMM

89-76-83

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, PhilHag.

According to Crucial.com, the Toshiba Satellite L30 series has the following capacity (bold is my note):
    Looks like you're going to have to return the 2gb module, get two 1gb modules.

5. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

That is correct.

6. PhilHag

PhilHag Private E-2

thanks for your help people. but i doubt they will take it back as it has been opened!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds