Upgrading Motherboard & Processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Salamander46, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard and processor. The motherboard I am thinking of getting is an Asus K8V-X Socket 754 or maybe a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 and a AMD64 Athlon 3000 processor. Has anybody out there used any of these and have they been successful or not? I have a Maxtor 6Y160PO hard drive and a Western Digital WDC WD400BB hard drive. I have a geforce 4 video card and PC2100 DDR Memory 512k. Can anybody see any incompatabilities that might occur using these together? I have never been so adventurous before... the most I have ever done is put a new hard drive in!! I guess being a 58 year old woman who likes to dabble with computers puts me in the minority... but who cares... I just don't want to blow my pc to pieces, so if any of you boffins out there can help me decide what to do, I would be very grateful. Also, does anybody know if my Windows XP Pro will still work ok with 64bit??
    Salamander46 :) :confused:

2. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

your windows xp will work flawlessly in 64 bit, the AMD chips are backwards compatible to 32 bit.

as for the motherboard and processor, if you have a few extra bucks i would look into the socket 939 motherboards, they are newer and will be upgradeable in the future, as of now, socket 754 will never live to see another new chip. and you shouldn't have any compatibility issues. i like the abit av8 motherboard, i've used it in many new computers that i've built, and soon to be another one. if you are upgrading your motherboard though, make sure your old ram is DDR ram so that it will fit in the new motherboard, if your old ram is SD ram, you will have to invest in new ram too.

good luck and congrats on being adventurous, thats what put me where i am today

3. Salamander46

Salamander46 Private E-2

Thanks, I will look into the 939 motherboards. The ram I have is DDR so there shouldn't be any problem there. Thanks again for taking the trouble to answer, it is much appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds