Upgrading PIII to P4 will new mobo fit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by breadbin, Sep 3, 2006.

1. breadbin

breadbin Private E-2

Hi I am going to upgrade my computer it is a P3 motherboard and was wondering if I would have to get a new case and/or power supply. I don't know if the outputs on the P4 motherbard are the same as the P3. Thanks

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Maybe not the case, but the power supply more than likely, the p4 requires a 4 pin connector that the old psu more than likely dosent have. ed

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

it may fit in the same case, but it is more than likely that you are going to need entirely new components (Power Supply, RAM, Video card) depending on what you upgrade to.

just an FYI, Pentium 4 has been phased out, Intel is now on to the Pentium D series and the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo series. Nearly all modern boards use DDR2 RAM and PCI-Express graphics cards, and even when building a light-use system, at least a 350-400w Power Supply is recommended these days.

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

You will still be able to buy p4 things for years, everybody says things are obsolete, bullcrap, you can still buy 478 socket p4;s new. Maybe not up to date, but not obsolete as some people claim. ed

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Nobody said obsolete, not need to get upset about it:p

The point was more aimed at saving money in the long run. P4 stuff is cerrtainly still around, but not that much cheaper than more modern things that will be better upgradeable for a couple years.

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I agree, i wasnt talking about your post in particular, just been reading on other sites about everything but dual core is obsolete, dual core has not been around long enough to have much software designed for it, so really its no better than a good single core right now. ed

7. breadbin

breadbin Private E-2

Thanks for the replies, I was going to buy an upgrade kit with the motherboard, Ram and CPU bundled together and was unsure of the i/o ports at the back, whether they were in the same place as the old board. Cheers. Any recommendations as to a good place to get them? I am looking at komplett.ie. (I live in Ireland).

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree totally, tunered. From a duo-core Laptop owner. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds