Upgrading to ACPI on XP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by khaosus, Jan 13, 2007.

1. khaosus

khaosus Private E-2

I have 25+ machines that have an old image on them and need to be manually powered off. My boss has decided that this just wont do and that I need to reimage them so that they are ACPI compliant. Ive looked at the old image and the ONLY thing different is ACPI. Is there a way to update XP without having to reinstall/reimage?

Thx a ton
    -Khaosus

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Unfortunately, you need a new image for your ACPI computers, as the ACPI HAL and the non-ACPI HAL are not compatible. You'll first have to make sure that the CMOS settings are enabled to run ACPI in your BIOS. This should be verified on all your machines. Then install the Sysprep image with the ACPI HAL on that machine. After that, you'll be able to manage your power options in Control Panel. If you don't have an ACPI HAL image on hand, then you'll have to run set-up from an install disk and do a full install on that ACPI compliant computer. Then create a new Sysprep image and label it ACPI HAL.:)
    Microsoft has some useful things to say about it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

3. khaosus

khaosus Private E-2

Doh! Guess I have my work cut out for me then.
    Guess Ill go make myself a ghost image and get started on these beasts.

ty

4. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

From time to time, it can be highly entertaining. With 275 machines to care for in an industrial environment, with BIOS's ranging from 1995 to present, with more than 13 different mother-board vendors and 167 different configurations, I can surely sympathize with you, khaosus. Somehow we make it all work. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds