Upgrading to Wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wandaful, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Wandaful

Wandaful Private E-2

FINALLY I am upgrading from my 28.8k modem connection to wireless
    They stick a wireless thingie on the roof of my house.. blah blah
    So I know the pros.. but what about the cons???

My package is 512k/256k and 10Gb download
    They mentioned that speeds were dependent on traffic.........
    So does that mean that the speeds may be crap???

I can't get any other sort of Broadband, cable or satelite where I live in rural Australia.....

ANY advice would be appreciated

Cheers
    Wendy

2. pari22

pari22 Corporal

Simple answer would be "most certainly".
    Wireless or "dish" isp's claim to be as fast as dsl or cable but in fact, it is the slowest in real world. Not only the traffic is the factor here, but "weather" and "installation quality" are big factors too.
    If there is big storm, wind, and/or rain..., your connection maybe lost.
    If your installers are careless, your line of site may not be great and your dish maybe 0.1 degree off. You might have connection on most days, but you'll never know why you lose your connection on other days.
    HOWEVER, like you said, if this is your only option, what are you going to do?
    Just enjoy it while it lasts. And of course, you may never have any problems... Oh, and dsl/cable isp's also have problems...

3. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Everything that I know about Wireless Broadband and Other Fixed-Wireless Systems, I read here.
    :)

4. Wandaful

Wandaful Private E-2

Thanks both of you......
    Great info there....
    And very informative web site Prom
    I will be asking many questions of my carrier before I sign I think...lol..
    But I guess I will give it a try......
    Gotta be better than my current dial up

Cheers
    Wendy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds