Urgent Calling On Helpf From Other Bitdefender Users .. Is This Situation Normal ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tamba1, Dec 19, 2016.

1. tamba1

tamba1 Private E-2

Hi

I have posted about this situation in detail here ...http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index....r-internet-security-2016.314693/#post-1982069

Since then a small update .......

1. A few days ago , I contacted Bitdefender Support via chat/msgr & chatted with their 1st level support, who after a while eventually decided my enquiry was really somethng they were not able to answer, & said they would get 2nd level support to contact me as a matter of urgency bearing in mind my subscription expires on 22nd Dec ( now only 3/4 days time)

Basically they were able to confirm that YES it was true that aslong as Bitdefender was installed I would NOT be able to use System Restore I quote "What you have to do to get the system restore to a some point . You have to uninstall Bitdefender|"... I clarified whether he did mean UNINSTALL & not DISABLE or Switch OFF, & he dconfirmed " Yes Uninstall, due to security facts..."

I explained I hadnt come across this before with other security programs Ive used , he added " Bitdfender doesn't allow the pc to make that major changes as i said due to security facts. You can uninstall Bitdefender make the restore and after that to reinstall it"

2. Since then I have googled about other apps & it seems that others also say you cannot do a full restore without disabling the program .. However to me disabling is VERY different to uninstalling ...

I guess at the end of the day, a well maintained & healthy, system wont need to use system restore that often.. Thinking about it, I myself have only needed to use it ONCE in 2016 which is when I discovered my " problem".. However the idea of having to unstalling my security in order to use Syst Restore, does not seem right..and I have to assume its not something EVERYONE does or else other forums would have come back & said no problem its business as ususal we all do it that way ..

PLEASE can someone give me advice as I am not only a few days from expiry & I need to make a decision

I am SERIOUSLY believing Bdefender really will need to be uninstalled & annual contract not renewed on the 22nd.. As I am now a few DAYS from my subscription expiring I NEED to decide whether to continue with bitdefender or to unnstall it & move to another supplier ..

PLEASE can someone tell me is it considered acceptable even normal to have to uninstall your Security Programm eg Bitdefender whenever you need touse System Restore ( as in fall back to an earlier System Restore point... This si NOT something Ive come across before with other companies so I am rather baffled & trying to get answers has been very challenging ..

Many Thanks
    Tamba1

2. tamba1

tamba1 Private E-2

PS when I asked for advice .. I meant re whether or not this is normal ..

Once again I THANK all those who have previously replied AND given me detailed advice re how to COMPLETELY remove Bdefender in the event of my actually having to do so .. which is looking more & more likely ...

Tamba1

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

With many AV software and suites, uninstalling plus running the makers removal tool is the only way to be certain that it cannot interfere with other processes/connections, etc. Disabling them doesn't always do enough, there might still be passive filters/blocks/drivers in place that also need to be removed.

Edited to add:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bitdefender-uninstall-tool/

There might also be a download for the BD uninstall tool here at MG's, I didn't see one on a quick search.

4. tamba1

tamba1 Private E-2

Satrow thank you for your reply ...a quick question

Were you referring to removing Bdefender BEFORE I attempt to install anything else .. ( which is what I fully intend to do.. asuming I decide to leave Bdfender ) or were you referring to having to do that EVERY time I needed to do a system restore ... ( which I am still struggling to get my head around as it seems pretty OTT to me ...)

Yes there is an MG uninstall tool, " Geek uninstaller" and MaxTurner kindly gave me a link to that as well as some others which I've pasted below ..he also suggst ussing CCleaner Slim to , to scan & fix until zero issues are found.

IoBit Uninstaller
    Revo Uninstaller - use in its Advanced Mode - use FREE version
    Geek Uninstaller

Regards
    Tamba1

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I always use the standard uninstall method plus the software specific removal tool/procedure and only use the generic uninstallers if the 'native' methods fail.

I do selectively use CCleaner for removal of remnant Registry entries of uninstalled software, though there's little to gain , and increased risk of damage from, using any Registry cleaner to the extent suggested above.

I don't know or understand the specifics of why BD blocks System Restore but, if I have the need to use SR from a (semi) functioning OS, I always do a full AV uninstall first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds