URL masking

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wookie, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I dont know if I was searching for the right words or not but couldnt find anything good on it.

ok I have my website on a server, I want to register another domain name. When that domain hits that server I have a script that takes the domain name then forwards to a folder. Well the folder name shows up in the URL

Heres an example

you go to url1.com
    the server forwards you to url1.com/url1

I want just url1.com to show up in the location bar for IE and Firefox

In this way I can have multiple websites on the same server hosting account and not have it look sloppy with folder names for each one.

Me and my friend got a great idea for a funny site but we dont have money for another hosting fee, so I would like to just put it on a sub folder on techdefine.com

Thanks for any help.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

If you're using IIS I know there is a way to have different domains run different website applications... not sure about Apache though...I think you can achive that effect with .htaccess

I think the best solution would to have this functionality in the web server rather than scripting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds