USB 2.0 ext hdds are no longer recognized by My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Denise_M, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

I have:

- ASUS A8V-VM SE Socket 939 Micro ATX Motherboard - UDMA133, SATA
    - XP Pro X64

I have 22 ext hdds connected to my computer. Some are USB 2.0, some are firewire and some are SATA.

I also have:

- NORCO-4618 PCI-X / PCI eSATA / SATA II / SATA I Controller Card RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD
    to connect my SATA ext hdds.

I purchased a SATA HUB which doesn't work. I did an RMA and the new one didn't work either.

I've been in contact with the company where I purchased the HUB. They asked me to return the HUB and to also send the controller card to them so they can see why the HUB isn't working with it. I removied the controller card this morning and packaged everything to send it to the company.

When I turned on a USB 2.0 ext hdd, it wasn't recognized by My Computer and there was no connection tone. One at a time, I powered up the other 12 USB 2.0 ext hdds that I have but none of them were recognized by My Computer and there were no connection tones. I checked to make sure that all the connections were solid and gave each a little push to make sure they were completely connected. I rebooted and when I turned on each USB 2.0 ext hdd again, they still weren't recognized by My Computer and there was no connnection tones.

Could removing the Controller Card (which was used to connect my SATA ext hdds) affect my USB 2.0 ext hdds? My firewire ext hdds still work.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the USB 2.0 ext hdds are no longer being recognized by My Computer?

2. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

A little more info . . .

When my pc was booting up, I paused it. It generated this info:

So it recognizes the hubs but not the ext hdds connected to them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds