USB 200GB EXTERNAL Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by comeflymark, Jan 29, 2006.

1. comeflymark

comeflymark Private E-2

Western Digital IDE 2000CP SE EXTERNAL Hard Drive loaded in a Newman USB 966F Case. USB connection to the computer via front USB port.

XP recognises the Drive as a Plug & Play USB Mass Storage Device and it is shown in the 'Device Manager' as working properly and enabled.

Device not shown in 'my computer'.

How do I access the drive in order to format/add data.

Could it be the card in the external Newman case that is at fault. Didn't have a driver for that. Although, as the external drive is shown as working properly in 'device manager' that seems unlikely.

Regards

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

right click the My Computer icon on your desktop, and go to Manage.

on the left, under storage, go to Disk Management.

there you should see all of the hard drives and partitions on your computer. Find the unallocated new hard drive, and partition and format it. Use NTFS if this will be solely used in Windows PC's, or FAT32 if you want the best interchangeability between Windows, Mac, and Linux.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds