usb audio driver problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by macfinn2, Jan 31, 2006.

1. macfinn2

macfinn2 Private E-2

My nephew plugged his usb mp3 player into my aged p300 and installed it etc. As I didnt have any drivers for it he installed a generic usb audio driver from the win98se cd. I screwed up the system. At first it didnt work at all. I've since been through safe mode, removed the device, restarted many times but the whole system is running extremely slowly.

When I double click on my computer nothing happens for about 4-5 mins. At times I have assumed that nothing will happen and restarted. Everything seems to get locked up and the only way I can close programs is with ctrl+alt+del.

I've tried using winoptimizer to clean things up but that hasnt worked either - doesnt seem to be much good full stop.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

2. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

WELLCOME TO MG

Try this

Restart your Computer
    At the Post Keep Tapping F8
    You will get the Advanced Menu Options
    Choose Comand Prompt Only
    Hit < Enter >
    at the prompt type scanreg /restore
    It will give you a List of 3 Dates
    Chose the date on which your system was working fine.
    Hit < Enter >
    Hit < Enter >
    System will restart and then try using it and let us know

3. macfinn2

macfinn2 Private E-2

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately the oldest date available was after the usb event screwed things up.
    I tried a couple of downloaded reg cleaners, and while its helped, things are still a bit slow - especially startup and closedown.
    I used registry mechanic and tweaknow regclean.
    Cheers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds