USB backup program help.

Discussion in 'Software' started by UKARMYCADET, Nov 15, 2007.

1. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

Hi guys, long time no C:\ :)

I have been at collage for 2 month now and with it being a computer collage all work saved on the network is at risk of being defaced by fellow script kiddys.

I have found some software but the problems so far are:

1) It is not made for USB (as in it being a small exe file).
    2) The ones i have messed with are manual as in you have to click the backup now button. I may as well just copy and paste the documents.
    3) or they are timed backup, the computers at collage are very slow so i don't want it to save every 1 min or so.
    4) You need administrator rights to the computer i use, but i do not have admin rights to collage computers.

So i want to know is there a USB backup program that instantly makes a Carbon Copy on to a destination file when i save my work.

I would make it myself but my C++ skills aren't advanced enough yet.

Thanks UKARMYCADET

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not come across one that you can have on USB Pen ( as you'll not be as you know able to install on those restricted PCs ) which will do a live sync via being installed on the USB drive over the host PC , I do use this one which is portable and installed and run from USB http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/toucan but its a manual backup and likely you have tried it already.

Thinstall is an application that allows you to create portable apps from many installed applciations so you may find a good timed sync app that could be made portable, but Thinstall is not free.

Personally if this is happening on network storage, then I would if you can use USB devices on the terminal your at only save and open files from your USB device, never connect to the network drives, or speak to IT Admin and alert them to folk messing up others work... see if they will install a backup sync application or have your folder on the shared network drive linked to your logon profile, if someone is hacking past that then they need to be removed from Uni.

3. gGrump

gGrump Private E-2

you could try Cobian Backup, I've seen a lot of praise for it, (and I see MajorGeeks users have rated it 4.58 out of 5)
    and you can run it from usb.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Cobian_Backup_d4739.html

To make it portable from your usb, follow these instructions from PortableFreeware.com

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Great info gGrump.. cheers.

5. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

Thanks grump i will try that later. ^^ Thanks to you halo. If it doesnt work ill have a word with the admins.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds