USB Card & External Enclosure Case Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XT2, Nov 8, 2006.

1. XT2

XT2 Private E-2

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone may be able to help me troubleshoot some problems I am having?

I am using a fairly old IBM laptop P3 - Thinkpad 390X, with Windows XP Professional SP2 as my OS. Recently I purchased a "NexStar 2" USB External Device Case to hold a DVD Rom. I installed the software that came with this product, and my computer recognizes that it is installed. There are no errors detected in device manager. The problem is however the DVD drive is not detected in Windows.

I discovered that my USB Controller needed to be upgraded to 2.0, so I purchased a USB 2.0 Cardbus (PCMCIA CardBus) Model XWT-745NEC (Made in china). Unfortunatly this did not come with any instructions. I installed the driver for this cardbus, and my pc also detects that this is installed. The problem is that the DVD drive is still not detected by Windows, and this cardbus will not detect any USB connections I make with it.

I figured that maybe the NexStar enclosure was faulty, and tried it on a friends computer, and it detected the DVD drive with no problem.

I am absolutly bafled as to why this will not work on my computer..:rolleyes:

Just wondering if anyone could provide any suggestions on this problem, I would greatly appreciate any help. Hopefully I explained the problem ok.

Best Regards.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds