USB-Cell phone modem driver issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jefflbi, Sep 23, 2009.

1. jefflbi

jefflbi Private First Class

A few weeks ago I upgraded to a new cell phone, an LG VX8360. The tech (if you can really call him that) at the Verizon store wasn't able to transfer my phone contacts from my old phone, an LG VX 8300, so I was left with the only option of manually entering all the phone numbers, which I really didn't want to do. So I decided to order my own data cables and work on it my self. The cable for the old phone came first and it didn't take me long to be able to do what the kid at the store couldn't, and that was to get the software to read the phone's data and copy it locally to my pc. The trouble began when I got the data cable for the new phone. The cable came with a cd with usb drivers. I installed the drivers as directed, then connected the phone to the pc via the data cable. What happened then was a continuing loop of the pc recognising the modem driver, then disconnecting, about every one or two seconds. My first thought was a defective cable, so I had the manufacturer send me another one. Same results. I tried another computer, same results. I then thought it might be a firmware issue with the phone, so I took it back to the Verizon store and the tech there connected it up via a data cable and said he was able to read the data on the phone. I then knew it wasn't a cable issue, nor firmware, but most likely a driver issue. So in another forum I got the tip to install the Verizon Download Manager, and that it would have the driver I needed. I did this from my work pc and was able to get the computer to mount the modem and I was able to read the data on the phone. I thought I had it solved and that I would be able to do the same on my home pc which is the same O/S, XP Pro. The one difference is my work pc has SP2, and my home pc has SP3. I got home only to find I still had the same issue, this endless loop of the usb connecting, then disconnecting. I tried different usb ports, and unplugging other usb devices but nothing seems to resolve the issue. I'm at my wits end over this one. Has anyone got any ideas?? I'm stumped. Thanks in advance!

2. jefflbi

Well, as an update, what worked yesterday on my work pc, no longer works today! WTF!!

I just might try a cable from a different manufacturer.

3. jefflbi

Well as a conclusion to this thread, my issue was indeed cable related. I ordered another cable, one that also charges the phone, and it worked like a charm! The computer recognised the serial modem right away and stayed stable. I was then able to transfer my data and get all my contacts into my new phone and not have to enter them manually.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds