USB Chipset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by funkyecat, Sep 2, 2007.

1. funkyecat

funkyecat Private First Class

Is it possible for a USB chipset to be bad, whereby, USB mice, keeyboards and printers work fine, but a scanner will not work (although recognized).

I bought a Canoscan 44ooF scanner and even after getting a replacement and spending a week of e-mails with Canon tech support, followed by hours of live phone calls, we have not been able to get them working.

The last Canon Tech stated that it all points to bad USB chipset. (All USB drivers are current).

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If the Canon Tech is right, your solution could be a PCI USB card; it installs in a PCI slot and provides additional USB ports on back of your computer. Some of these cards also have pins for connecting the wires leading to the front USB ports.

Here's a very inexpensive one, which might do the trick for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166001

I have one of these installed in my computer. It has two rear ports and has the wires for front ports. Since my motherboard's onboard USB supported USB 2.0 on the rear ports but only USB 1.1 on the front ports, this card allowed me to upgrade the front ports to USB 2.0. The rear ports have worked fine. The front ones did not always work right during the first few weeks this card was installed; those ports would sometimes drop back to USB 1.1. But, in the last few months, the problem has not occurred; they've consistently functioned as USB 2.0. Why that early problem? Did it just need some burn-in time? I don't know. But, take a look at the reviews on newegg.com; they show 79% of reviews giving it a 5-star rating, which is pretty good.

3. akm

akm Sergeant

Have/had similar problem, maybe some help at .http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=136687.

4. funkyecat

funkyecat Private First Class

Tech told me that the USB puts out 5 volts and if the mouse, keyboard and printer are working, there is nothing wrong with the chipset.

Apparently Canon scanners will not work with my computer. I had the same problem with a Canon LIDE 60 last years.

Previous scanner was an HP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds