USB disk drives not mapping to drive letters

Discussion in 'Software' started by nedsram, Jan 6, 2006.

1. nedsram

nedsram Private E-2

I have several USB devices with built-in drives - two MP3 players, a mobile phone, and a digital camera. Time was when plugging these in caused a new network drive to appear in Explorer (e.g. F:). Now this no longer happens for most of them. Instead I just get an additional entry such as "Canon Powershot A70" for the digital camera, but this does not map to a network drive. Also the program which launches when the digital camera is plugged in (ZoomBrowser Ex) fails with a critical error "No such interface supported".

Clearly something has broken, but I'm not sure what. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling ZoomBrowser Ex, but that didn't fix the problem. The only thing I can think of is that some time ago I used the Ashampoo WinOptimizer DLL cleaner, and it's possible that I inadvertently removed a DLL which is required to support USB network drives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

I would try uninstalling the software for all your devices. Then uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers, finally reinstall your USB devices.

The correct drivers for your motherboard will probably be found at their website. What make and model is your mobo?

3. nedsram

nedsram Private E-2

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver - indeed all of the camera software -but I don't think that's the problem. I think I am missing a DLL - or there is a version mismatch somewhere. That's why I was hoping somebody could tell me what dlls are used to map network drives to USB devices on a temporary basis. It works for my iRiver MP3 player but not the camera.

What is the generic cause of the "no such interface supported" messages, or is it just one of those that Microsoft issue when they can't think of anything better to say?

4. nedsram

nedsram Private E-2

The problem is now fixed. I installed another program and whenever I ran it, Windows attempted to repair Roxio CD Creator. When I uninstalled and reinstalled it, this problem went away. As well as the USB drive problems and an error message I got from Norton Antivirus when it started up. (The one about being unable to scan instant messaging for viruses.) And in addition, an odd problem with my VPN connection went away as well.

All presumably because one important DLL had vanished, and reinstalling CD Creator had put it back again.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Roxio is notorious for this. Thanks for posting the solution, I wish more would do the same.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds