Usb Drive Can Be Accessed But Does Not Display In Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoshenGeek, Jul 30, 2017.

1. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I plug in a USB drive into any of my 3 USB 2.0 sockets. The drive does NOT show up in Windows Explorer. Yet I can launch Windows Explorer, type "E:" in the address bar and CAN access the USB drive. I tried this with several USB drives - same behavior. So I can access the USB drive, but the drive letter does not display in Windows Explorer.

Solution anyone?

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

3. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately none of the solutions at the above link solved this problem. The USB drives are not corrupted - I have no trouble accessing them. And there IS a drive letter assigned to the drive - I can see the drive letter in the device manager. The drive letter just does not display in Windows Explorer.

4. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

One more piece of information. I find that if I reassign the USB drive letter from E to G or higher in the alphabet, the drive DOES show up in Windows Explorer view. But if I assign the drive either E or F, the drive does NOT show up in Windows Explorer view. Very strange.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you have a built in card reader? Certain letters are reserved for my two built in card reader slots. (they were E and F until I added a partition then the optical drive was assigned the letter E and the card reader now uses F and G).

Hint: look for the external USB drive under Devices and Printers. It will show at the top Mass Storage Devices with a letter.

6. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

No, I do not have a built-in card reader. There are no other devices.

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Fascinating utility - thank you. I have attached a screen shot of the output of DriveLetterView. Notice that it shows E & F in the list even though there is nothing connected. What does this mean?

Drives..JPG

9. Eldon

As per the included help file, you can delete E & F.
    Then they will become available again.
    PS A restart might be needed.

10. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Unfortunately this did not work. I deleted E & F as you suggested. Rebooted. Now E & F were no longer in the list when using the utility. Plugged in one and then a second hard drive - still did not show up.
    The answer to my problem may be to reinstall Windows 7. But I need my laptop as is for now and don't have the time to reinstall all the software.

Any other suggestions?

11. Eldon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds