USB Drive not Reconized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Viet_Vet, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Viet_Vet

Viet_Vet Private E-2

I shut down my PC (Vista 64) with both my external USB HD and a USB Thumb drive attached. On reboot the USB HD is not recognized. I moved it to another PC with the same cord and it is recognized and all the data is there. If I shut it down or turn it on you get the windows sound, but it is not picked up in the control panel , nor does auto play start.

Any help would be appreciated.

VV

2. Viet_Vet

Viet_Vet Private E-2

Additional Info; In device manger the USB drive is detected as"USB MASS Storage Device" Under "Universal Serial Controller" but not display in My PC.

3. Viet_Vet

Viet_Vet Private E-2

Resolved it; I went into Disk management and discovered that the USB HD was listed as a healthy volume without a drive letter. (WTF windows ). I assigned it a drive letter and all is well......Auto play ran and the drive is picked up in My Computer.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good to know you figured it out!! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds