USB drive not working in specific instance

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yog-Sothoth, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

The problem computer is running Windows XP and for one account when a certain USB drive is plugged in it shows up in "My Computer" as drive G "TRAVELDRIVE" but then disappears after about 0.5 seconds. Then the computer no longer recognized a drive G or that a USB drive is connected to it.

This USB flash drive works fine on all other computers and even on different accounts on the problem computer. Also, any other USB drive works fine on this account. It is just this certain flash drive on this certain account.

I've never even heard of something like this. What is going on?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Odd indeed.

Not sure if this will help but go into your device manager under My Computer properties. Any yellow flags under the USB controllers.

I suppose you could try uninstalling the drivers, reboot and let windows reinstall.

Or, this just may be one of those little quirks you live with.

3. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

I don't think unistalling drivers could be the solution, becase in other accounts is working.

But you could try it.

Maybe a recent installed software like antivirus / antispyware / USB Encyption / ... in that account is making the problem.

Try to compare accounts, what is initializating in the account problem using the "Device Manager".

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Oops your right.

When I read the situation, my feeble mind was translating the term account into "port". :-o

Then if all that was described was accurate, it is obviously software related to that account. Does that occur with all the ports in that account, (finally got my ports and accounts squared away).

5. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

Yes, all ports act the same way. I'm gonna itmortiz's suggestion, but first I'm gonna try simply reformatting the flash drive.

6. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

No problem, i'd maybe suggested the same, Windows errors are so... impredectible?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds