USB External Harddrive Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZeR00, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ZeR00

ZeR00 Private E-2

Its a 250GB My Book Essentail harddrive and it wont install. I plug it in and it makes the 'ding' sound but straight after it makes two 'ding' sounds. The harddrive doesnt show up in 'My Computer' but does in the 'DEvice Manager' but has yellow extimation mark on it. So i go to instal it by right clicking it and install driver from device manager , it goes through the installation but then at the end of it it says:

''An Error occured during the instalation of this device:
    The driver installation file for this device is missing
    a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written
    for windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor.''

Whats all this about?
    how can i edit the INF?

Any help?

(i hope i explained my problem clearly enough)

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Odd error. I looked around and if I searched right, that is usually a problem with CD/DVD drives. Did the drive come with a disk? There is a chance that formating the drive might help. Looks like Windows can see it, but not access it. (a guess).

You might try this: http://majorgeeks.com/Western_Digital_Data_Lifeguard_Tools_d2855.html

See if that will give you any info on the drive.

E

3. omarizgreat

omarizgreat Private E-2

you can always go to the website of the company that makes your hd and install the driver from there

4. ZeR00

ZeR00 Private E-2

There wasnt any disk that came with the harddrive and there is no driver for XP on the manufactures website, The Life guard tool didnt show the harddrive up either.
    Im gunna try reformatting it on a computer which it is reconised on and then see if it works

Thanks for the help though

5. ZeR00

ZeR00 Private E-2

I reformatted it and still doesnt work
    but what i found on the computer which it was reconnised as is that, in the device manager it showed it under 'Disk Drive' but on this comouter which is doesnt get reconnised on, shows it under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'..

confused confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds