USB fan controller?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Speculant, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

I bought this USB powered fan and I was wondering if there is any way to add a potentiometer to control the current? I want the fan to be a little slower, would something like this or this work?

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

just to clarify, are you talking about a case fan that is inside your PC that connects to USB or an external desk fan, to cool yourself down, that plugs into your USB port.

Eitherway you will need to do som modding to get it to work but essentially if you can identify the power cable that goes to the fans motor all you need to do is cut the cable and solder in a 10k variable resistor/pot. trouble is you dont have any casing for it.

4. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Might be useful to have a link to your fan?

5. Speculant

Basically, it's this [​IMG]

Just a basic DC motor pulling whatever current that's supplied via USB.

6. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Is this fan meant too cool you down or the computer if its meant too cool you down the i would get a regular fan.They have much more power then the usb fans do.I never seen such a thing lol.Must be some thing new i guess.

7. Speculant

Well, I was thinking, since they are so cheap and DC motors, I could easily make a knob to adjust the speed and have an array of them, like 8 or 9, but if I'm going to have so many I want a way to control the speed.

8. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

I think jus wiring in a 10k pot on the live line to the motor should do the trick. See the volume control schematic here for help on wiring

9. Speculant

Thanks! Much appreciated.

10. moi29200

moi29200 Private E-2

Hello, I bought usb led fan , but it works not, by mistake I formated the disk, how found the software and advise (recommends) of use, thank you very much
    USB programmable led message fan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds