Usb Harddrive out of enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kiprusoff, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Kiprusoff

Kiprusoff Private E-2

I have taken a USB hardrive out of its enclosure, and installed it internnally the bios doesn't see it neither does windows although it does take longer to boot with it plugged in, any ideas on how i can get this functioning.

2. Smackums McDuff

Smackums McDuff Private E-2

Try changing the jumper settings on the drive. Chances are since it was installed via USB, it was probably set at "Master". Look on the side of the drive, and there should be a sticker detailing the settings. Place it on "Slave". If there's no diagram on the actual drive, search the model number on line with "jumper diagram" and see if that helps.;)

3. Kiprusoff

Kiprusoff Private E-2

i thought about that, the drive doesn't have a jumper on it, and the drive is sata so i thought they don't use jumpers. It still has the box where a jumper would go.

4. Kiprusoff

Kiprusoff Private E-2

I looked into it and i put a jumper on it, now bios recognizes it so does windopws in device manager but not in my computer, i don't want to re-patrtion it because it has data i need.

5. Smackums McDuff

Smackums McDuff Private E-2

We're halfway there :) Try going into disk manager (right click my computer, click "manage", then click on "disk management" and see if it shows up there. If there's an option to assign it a drive letter, than do so. Be sure you have the right driver installed for your drive on the system. Sometimes SATA drives need specific drivers that aren't included in the OS. Also, if the USB drive was removed improperly from the computer and wouldn't read (which i just assume because u took it out of the enclosure in the first place), the partition table on the drive might be messed up. If so, try using something like partition manager to reconstruct the table on the drive, so the data is readable. :yum

6. Kiprusoff

Kiprusoff Private E-2

7. Kiprusoff

Kiprusoff Private E-2

can i get some help please i need the data thats on this drive

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds