USB keyboard for Dell Laptop (how to choose)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GrammawNewbie, Jul 28, 2005.

1. GrammawNewbie

GrammawNewbie Private E-2

Last month I pestered you nice folks about the problem I had hooking up my ergonomic ps/2 keyboard to my Dell Inspiron 8600 via a cable to convert it to my laptop's USB port.

Upshot was, y'all said get a new keyboard since the old one caused static to build up. Two questions (for starters, heh heh):

1) Is it true that if you use non-Dell peripherals such as a keyboard that Dell will fry up or misbehave like an unrepentant schoolchild?

2) How can I tell if the USB is the right one? Some say "Mac" but does that mean they have special Mac keys, or it flat won't work with a PC? I hope that's not too ignorant a question. If a keyboard says USB + PS/2 am I gonna have the same problem I have now, or does that imply you could hook it either with a USB cable or a PS/2 cable?

Thanks to any who can help this dreadfully uninformed granny. I thought if I could find a really sweet one that's not too too too expensive, the family might chip in and "surprise" me for my birthday. ;)

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

1) No it's not true, although dells themselves are known to act up without any reason, it will not be checking ot make sure the HW you plug into it is from dell.

2) A USB keyboard is a USB keyboard. Anyone you find should work just fine. All there saying it they've provided drivers for it. But even that doesn't matter, since any OS you have has it's own standard keyboard drivers. You only need custom keyboard drivers if the keyboard has extra special keys, but even then you can use the built in windows one. It just means the special keys wont work.

I should note however, that the static build up thing you mentioned with the current keyboard sounds... lets just say fishy. I've never in my 20 years with computers heard of a keyboard causing a static buildup. I'm not even sure exactly what you mean by that, but it sounds to me like someone was feeding you a line of bull****.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I would have to agree with Coco on the static build up issue, although I don't have quite the 20 years experience. Even if "static build up" was the problem, there are simple attachable filters/coils that should correct it. Also remember that Dell is still having issues with LCD monitors and sleep/hibernation mode. :)

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Grammaw, USB + PS2 may mean that the keyboard comes with USB as standard, and 1 PS2 adapter. A keyboard that I purchased recently comes fitted with a USB fitted as standard, and a PS2 adapter fitting as well. You can plug the USB direct into a USB port, or plug the USB into the PS2 adapter, and plug the PS2 into a PS2 port. So, simply, the keyboard can be used in either port by using, or not using, the PS2 adapter. Hope that makes sense. Bazza

===

6. GrammawNewbie

why I believed keyboard adaptor caused laptop static electricity

Hey, thanks everybody for replies.

I will check out the budget keyboard, but I'd really like an ergonomic one, the split-in-the-middle kind, as I've used it before and it's WAY easier on Grammaw's old (well, okay, mid-40's) hands.

The issue about static is that every time I plug in the ps2 keyboard with the usb adaptor, after a bit of typing the laptop sticks and will print a series of `````````` or something. It won't stop unless I totally pull the plug (no easy CTRL+ALT+DEL fixes for this, sad to say.) I posted awhile back regarding this problem [don't know how to refer to it, but I'll try this:
    http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=65723 it was around 23 June 2005] and said that Dell support indicated the problem was a buildup of static. They told me how to disconnect and drain it, but had no clue how to prevent it. It ONLY happens when using the fancy-schmancy keyboard, not with a printer or anything else, so I assumed it was the keyboard or adaptor.

So, from what I'm hearing now, I'm misguided about blaming the bargain comfy keyboard &/or adaptor?

Sigh.

I'll keep looking for a new USB ergonomic keyboard when I have time (new grandbaby is handicapped and I haven't quite gotten my sea legs yet as far as how to handle her).

Thanks again ... let me know if you have any more thoughts about this ... other than, "Give it up, Grammaw, you're a lunatic." <G>

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

8. bigbazza

Just out of curiousity, Grannmaw. What type of chair are you sitting on? What type of floor coverings are under your feet? Static can build up from clothing and carpeting. Have you tried using your PC from somewhere with a wooden or tiled floor, wearing different clothes? May sound stupid, but worth a try. I once had trouble with static and had to buy a different pair of shoes to overcome the problem with a carpeted floor.Bazza

9. GrammawNewbie

You are such a helpful group of geeks, er, folks! Okay, I've added the suggested keyboard to my Wishlist so I won't forget it; that's just what I want but for some reason I didn't find it my first search around.

Bazza, I usually wear SAS rubber-soled shoes, Birkenstocks, or bare feet (okay, people, yes I DO have hairy legs, satisfied now?) on wooden floor, elbow on wooden desk, and my normally denim-clad rump rests on a cloth desk chair. So static may be building up from my body, but, as Miss Marple would say -- why ONLY when I use the fun keyboard and not the cramped little torture device that's part of the laptop itself? I don't get it. But that is a GREAT suggestion and I have tucked it away in my walnut-sized brain in case one of my galfriends comes cryin' to Grammaw about how their puter is treatin 'em wrong.

And, to D3m3nt3d (gee, do you listen to Dr. Demento too?): I'm too cheap to use the battery except when totally necessary. Again, the only time it sticks is when using the cushy keyboard.

Sounds like I got a bad board and need a new one. I must start working on the old Jedi mind trick, like accidentally mailing my Wishlist to my brother a few weeks before I light another candle on the cakeroni ....

10. bigbazza

Looks like static from your workplace can be ruled out. Have you tried another USB keyboard, of any type? Borrow one from someone and give it a try. That will soon narrow down the problem, a bit. I suppose you have tried plugging yours into different ports, just in case one port is internally damaged, somehow. Bazza

11. bigbazza

Does your laptop have a PS2 port? I guess it doesn't, otherwise you would have tried it, without the USB adapter cable. Maybe try/borrow/steal :D another adapter cable? Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds