USB Keyboard Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by linuxpowers, Mar 18, 2012.

1. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

I using an older motherboard, (aopen mk77m II) that has two ps/2 ports available for mouse and keyboard connections. Recently, my keyboard fried and I made an emergency run to the local walmart to pick up a cheapo. The problem I had was there were no ps/2 keyboards available, (they thought I was asking about a "playstation 2" :-D) so I grabbed a USB keyboard along with a USB extender (USB man w/4 additional USB connections).

I have a USB Hub connected to my motherboard which gives me 4 extra USB ports, most of which were already being used by my printer, MP3 players, and other devices. So, I used one of the hubs USB ports to connect the "Hub Man" and then plugged my new USB keyboard into that....daisy-chained!

Everything worked fine for a day but then when I was playing around in windows, (XP HE) the keyboard Numbers Lock light went out and I lost keyboard control. :( I got out of windows and rebooted, went into bios and found under peripherals, "Support USB Keyboard", for which I assumed just meant support BEFORE windows loaded. Anyway, I checked "support it", saved and exited, allowed windows to load and watched as the keyboard lights lit up...with numbers lock working correctly. :)

Then, I got home today and was at the log in screen for windows. I have my account password protected and tried to type in my password but no response. I noticed the numbers lock light was out again so I shut windows down and rebooted. After BIOS did it's POST, and recognized the drives , it gave me a "Keyboard Error or No Keyboard attached" message. I rebooted so I could get into BIOS but the keyboard would not respond at all...no lights at all and the same error message over and over. Wow, I'm locked out everywhere! :cry

Finally, I removed the USB hub and connected my keyboard directly into the USB port on the back of the box. When I started back up, I tapped DEL and was able to load BIOS. But, I noticed this time that the numbers light still did not come on. It seems to me that I remember BIOS turning that on right after POST or Drive recognition. Anyway, I exited BIOS and allowed windows to go ahead and load and all worked just fine...which is why I can ask this question now! ;)

Am I doing something wrong? I would much rather go back to the PS/2 port just because it keeps my keyboard cables under the desk and out of the way but, it seems that the PS/2 port is becoming somewhat of a "legacy port"! rolleyes

My thinking is this....my old motherboard has 4 available USB ports, two on the back and two located on the motherboard itself. Since I was just using the two on the back for everything (daisy-chaining), there was not enough power to supply all the peripherals connected (only 5v available)! Now my thought is to open up the back of the case and connect, for instance, my DSL modem directly onto one of the USB ports located on the motherboard, since it never changes and stays connected. Also, connect maybe my USB hub to the other port on the motherboard. That leaves me with 2 ports at the back of the box for daisy-chaining for other smaller devices such as mp3's and cell phones! :cool

Sorry about this long winded message and before anyone says it, I know I need to just build another system soon :-o ....I'm just squeezing out the last drops of blood from this one...I'm just a tight wad! :major

2. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

I tried to connect a USB hub directly into the port on the back of the box but then everything went haywire on me, even my DSL modem quit working and the wizard popped up and wanted to install it again. So, I connected everything back one device at a time, while watching the device manager, and now it's all being recognized. :confused

Here's the steps I took:

1. Plugged my DSL modem back into the port from whence it came. The Device Manager recognized it, USB activity light came back on and as you can see...it's working.
    2. Plugged the USB hub back into the other USB port. Windows did not recognize this, so since it has it's own power source, I unplugged it and disconnected the USB connector at the hub. I waited about 30 seconds and then powered it up and plugged the USB connector back in...Bingo, Device manger now recognizes the "Generic Hub".
    3. Then I plugged my USB printer cable into the hub and the Device Manager recognized that.
    4. Now, for the problem child...my new keyboard. I plugged that into the hub and Bingo...the Device Manager recognized that as a composite device.

But this just puts things back to the original configuration where my problems started. I am going to pick up a backup ps/2 keyboard at the refurbished computer parts store for emergencies...they only cost about 5 bucks!

I know I stated in my previous post that I was going to use the 2 USB connections that were still located on my motherboard but, those need a special connector that I don't have. Can't just plug a USB connector into them!

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

With all due respect 12 paragraphs is way too long for a tech support question which is most likely why you have gotten no responses. Tough to read and comprehend the longer it gets.

Are your Windows motherboard drivers up to date? You should be able to use all your USB slots and if you buy a USB keyboard it should come with a PS2 adapter.

http://majorgeeks.com/VIA_HyperionPro_4in1_Driver_d1618.html

Also, if it were me I would only plug things into the hub that you occasionally need. In other words, your important devices should be plugged directly into the motherboard USB slots. That motherboard should have SIX USB ports, plenty for most.

4. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

My apologies, thanks!

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Let me know if any of that works or if we need more.

6. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

No, I think that will just about do it. Thanks again (MG) for all you do!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds