USB keyboards pointless???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MZPRESTO, Feb 12, 2007.

1. MZPRESTO

MZPRESTO Private First Class

Hi

I recently damaged my old PS2 keyboard as the wire ripped out the back and replaced it with a USB keyboard all worked fine and the only downside was that I had one less USB slot, however I have encountered a few problems since then. The first one was to be expected....

(1)

I bought a lot of really old computer parts cheap and built a basic computer for someone. It was an AMD 500 with 256 megs of ram, AGP graphics card etc... It had USB slots so I figured my keyboard would work.

I put in an unformatted hard drive and booted, I could not use the keyboard whatsover in Bios or when I booted from my XP disc???? I figured it may have been because it was such an old machine and might not even be USB 2.0 so I went out and bought a PS2 keyboard and mission succesful, got the system up and running!!!

(2)

My own machine is fairly recent and considered decent before all that dual core quad core business: Athalon 3700 venice core, Gig Ram, Nvidia 6600, Sata Hard Drive, Abit AN8 Ultra motherboard etc......

My keyboard does work in BIOS now, I can't say if it would work with a clean drive when trying to install XP, but I can say it didn't work for Vista!!!!!!

I had a spare 40gig IDE hard drive so I disconnected my Sata drive and installed this one and began to try and install Vista, I COULDN'T????????

Without a hard drive connected with windows already installed I can't use this keyboard even in BIOS???

What is that all about???

Has any1 else had problems surely this can't be the case as there would be NO point in USB keyboards????

May just be something I was doing wrong would be interested to know

Thanks

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Everytime I reformatted and installed Windows ME in the past I had to use a PS2 mouse
    for the windows setup options, my usb mouse would not work until windows was fully installed.
    I assumed this was to do with the initial drivers loaded for setup in Windows ME

However, reformatting and installing Windows XP does not have the same issue - usb works fine all the way.

Sorry it doesnt answer your question, but, you can always get a USB to PS2 converter to free up that extra USB slot
    (My logitech USB keyboard actually came with one)

3. Storkraft

Storkraft Private First Class

i know this problem. hehe

i have an old and trusty mouse (Logitach mouseman wheel ) and a Trust. keyboard. in the PS2 ports. and that keyboard. is now vertikal. and used if and when there is some start op truble.

then my Logitech G15 and G5. want realy work. especialy when i used the MX5000 set. or DeNovo. Bluetooth. realy dident work without Windows. also had some other problems with the MX1000. sadly. that i got tired of so i bought the G15 and the G5 with cords.im going back to "low tech" that works.

usualy, but lately after i set the MB´s BIOS to optimal default. the keyboard. have worked. in "DOS" or what ever you call it.

so maybe it is in there you should look. to activate. it

hope you can figure it out.. i cant... ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds