USB mouse quits working after system standby

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by askantik, Feb 21, 2007.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hey all,

My dad got a new wireless laser mouse (Logitech MX610). He previously had a wireless Microsoft optical mouse and a cheapo optical mouse. Both of those still worked after going into standby.

The Logitech works perfectly, but when you put the PC in standby and then wake it up (with the keyboard), the mouse doesn't work until you reboot. It works in PS2, just not USB. I have tried unplugging it and plugging it in again, but that doesn't work. Also have tried jump drives, those work without problem after standby. We've tried it with the mouse software and without it (just with HID-compliant standard drivers).

He said he tried the mouse on his laptop and it doesn't have that problem.

PC: Windows XP Home & Biostar Tforce 6100-939 motherboard
    Laptop: XP MCE (shouldn't matter... right?)

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You probably need to enable the support in the Bios.
    If you know little of these things, you have to be very careful.
    You mess with the Bios at your own (or. Dad's ) risk.

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I enabled support for USB mice and keyboards, but that didn't help. I don't see anything else relevant in the BIOS... that's why we're so stumped. Also, all BIOS updates and drivers for the motherboard have been downloaded/installed...

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

did u try to connect it to a different usb port? if u have any others?

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Yup. Tried front and back USB ports.

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

My mouse does the same on occasion - I power down the USB ports (separate from PC) then bring them back up again and that seems to do the trick.

7. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

That article from Valhaalis should help, and I am sure I have seen the same words somewhere in a motherboard bios, on occasion - so look for both.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds