Usb Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdpaul, Jul 8, 2016.

1. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

HI,
    I've been given a HP laptop which I factory reset to original windows 7 but it keeps telling me a USB device is not recognized even though I haven't got anything plugged in a USB port (If I plug my memory stick into any port it recognises it).
    When I open device manager there isn't anything showing an error.

I upgraded to windows 10 in the hope it would fix the problem but it's just the same and constantly alerting me.

Also, and I don't know if it's linked but at startup I get a runtime error in atibrtmon

Be grateful of any help

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is the exact model of HP?
    atibrtmon is the ATI Brightness monitor. Until I know the model, I can't see if HP has updated anything for the video on the laptop.

4. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

All it says for model is g6 series

5. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

Device manager screenshot Device manager.jpg

6. Eldon

Does your laptop have a webcam? Is it working?

7. plodr

Sorry, your image is much too small for me to see anything even expanded.

g6 series means there are models with the g6.
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Turn the laptop over. Look at the non-Windows label. There should be a manufacturing date and a model, S/N of the unit and SNID which is the ID of the particular unit.

What model (not S/N or SNID) is near the manufacturing date?

8. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

There is nothing other than the windows label

9. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

Right I've factory reset again to windows 7. The errors are gone but I can't use the webcam using the inclided Youcam software, it says there's a new HP cam and when I select to use it nothing happens. I'm going to add my stuff over the weekend and if all else looks ok I'll try the Windows 10 upgrade.

10. Eldon

After upgrading to Windows 10, check if the webcam is working. If not, you'll have to upgrade it's drivers.

11. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

Looks like the fault is with the webcam.
    After re-installation Device manager should a webcam under Imaging devices but I wasn't getting any errors. As soon as I installed Skype I started getting the error beeps and now in Device manager keeps flashing and re-setting and there is no Imaging devices.

Not sure what I can do

12. Eldon

13. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

It says "no valid webcam was found"

14. Eldon

It's almost certainly a hardware problem with the webcam.
    What do you see when expanding Universal Serial Bus controllers?
    DV.jpg

15. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

16. Eldon

No webcam showing.
    The only real option is to use an external webcam connected to a USB port.

17. plodr

My webcams are not listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, they are listed under Imaging Devices.

You had that category in post #5 but not in post # 15.
    Can you restore to the time when post #5 was taken to get that category back?
    If so, expand Imaging devices and post what drive is showing.

18. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

When I do a factory reset Imaging devices sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't. Even when it appears (and shows a webcam) if I try to use the webcam it fails then disappears.
    Also, updates keep failing and it's currently been installing windows 10 all day.
    Tomorrow I'm going to remove the webcam (physically) and try another factory reset.

19. plodr

Since you don't know anything beyond g6, you have no idea if there are Windows 10 drivers for that laptop.
    Personally, if I wasn't sure Windows 10 worked on my hardware, I'd stick with Windows 7 and get everything working properly and completed updated.

20. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

A rather simplistic view. I do now know the model (Info under the battery). The laptop specification easily matches the requirements of windows 10 but that's irrelevant anyway as the issue i'm having occurs in Windows 7 as well. According to HP support website windows 10 has the necessary drivers for the model.

21. Eldon

Then there's something wrong with the webcam.
    It might be something as simple as loose wires because it appears/disappears.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds