USB Not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by corfew, Jan 11, 2011.

1. corfew

corfew Private E-2

I am running Windows XP SP3 on a HP Compaq nx6325.

Earlier this week my USB ports stopped working. I thought an upgrade of the Bios may do the trick, so downloaded the upgrades from the HP. I have installed the upgrades and now find that not only do my USB ports not work, but I cannot get wireless connection (HP Wireless Assistant will not load) and my Quick Launch buttons crash and dump at restart.

On top of this (and I guess this is for another forum) for a few weeks I have had problems with system.exe and iexplorer.exe taking 100% CPU for extended periods and explorer.exe racking up Other I/O to 10s of millions.

I don't want to do too much more without some guidence.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards
    Eddie

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Look in Device Manager and report back here as to whether you device manager reports something wrong with your USB ports (such as a yellow exclamation point next to the device).

3. corfew

corfew Private E-2

I have 3 USB Ports on my laptop.

Under the “Universal Serial Bus Controller” heading I have 5 items. "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller", 2 x “Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller” and 2 x “USB Root Hub”.

The Device manager shows a problem with "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller". The device status is "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

The Troubleshoot advises to delete it and reinstall. I have done this with a rescan within Device Manager and it then starts correctly (but USB ports still do not work). At this stage a third “USB Host Controller” starts. I have rebooted to search and it comes up with the same error.

I also have the yellow exclamation mark for a "Standard Floppy Disc Controller", with the same status "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

There are also errors with my Ports "Communication Port (Com1)" and "ECP Printer Port (LPT3)”. The status of both of these is "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)".

When I delete the Ports I have to reboot and the problems reappear.

Regards
    Eddie

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

The com1 and LPT1 port issues are easy - they are simply not enabled in the BIOS. So that's not a problem. If you need those ports to work, just go into the BIOS setup and enable them.

The USB port issue is more complicated - in fact I have no idea how to rectify it since you already deleted and reinstalled the device.

Maybe someone else here can point you in a more fruitful direction now that we have some diagnostic info.

5. corfew

corfew Private E-2

The BIOS has the COM Ports set to enabled. Actually, everything is set to enabled on that screen.

I have also noticed that my battery is not detected. That uses a COM Port too I believe.

Any ideas?

6. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I'm stumped.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

8. corfew

corfew Private E-2

The Malware guys can not find a Malware issue and advised I came back here. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=231027&goto=newpost

Yesterday I had to reboot as the system.exe was taking 99% CPU. I used a utility called Process Explorer and saw that it was HAL.dll that was taking all of the CPU. Does that help?

The USB & COM Ports are my main problem, are the the high CPU and excessive disk access a sympton or a cause?

Is this the correct Forum to be in?

Regards
    Eddie

9. DavidGP

Hi

Yes correct forum for now as it maybe drivers or could be a 3rd party software app causing this, so try the bellow so we can slowly narrow this down.

1. Please name all your security applications?
    2. Boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and see if your PC works OK?
    3. Have you checked in the BIOS that WiFi and USB is enabled? (never know as you installed a BIOS update that a setting maybe at default which can be disabled)
    4. In Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks and if so by what device?
    5. Install Process Explorer and see what it lists as using the most CPU, as explorer.exe maybe but it may also have a secondary application linked to it.
    6. Install and run ShellMenuView and disable all non Microsoft items, once run if you scroll along the list and find Company menu title click that and it will sort the list into companies, then highligth all non Microsoft ones and click the Red button to disable and then reboot and try again.

10. corfew

corfew Private E-2

Please note that the system.exe taking 100% CPU or the explorer.exe racking up enormous amouts of I/O Other are intermittent. They are not doing it at the moment. However the USB and the Wireless connection not working are constant.

1. I run Symantic Antivirus 10.1.7.7000, regularly run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and use the Windows Firewall. Since raising these questions I have also installed SuperAntiSpyware.

2. Booting in Safe Mode makes no difference. The USB and Wireless does not work and Device Manager has the same items in error (see answer 4 below).

3. Yes and they are all enabled.

4. Under the “Universal Serial Bus Controller” heading I have 5 items. "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller", 2 x “Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller” and 2 x “USB Root Hub”.

The Device manager shows a problem with "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" only. The device status is "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

The Troubleshoot advises to delete it and reinstall. I have done this with a rescan within Device Manager and it then starts correctly (but USB ports still do not work). At this stage a third “USB Host Controller” starts. I have rebooted to search and it comes up with the same error.

I also have the yellow exclamation mark for a "Standard Floppy Disc Controller", with the same status "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

There are also errors with my Ports "Communication Port (Com1)" and "ECP Printer Port (LPT3)”. The status of both of these is "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)". When I delete the Com Ports I have to reboot and the problems reappear.

5. Last time the system.exe was taking all of the CPU I ran Process Explorer and saw that it was HAL.dll that was taking all of the CPU.

6. I have done as requested with no difference to the USB or Wireless connection (i.e. not working). The Device Manager is the same as in 4. Should I turn the items back on?

Thanks
    Eddie

11. corfew

corfew Private E-2

In addition to the problems below, I cannot view details of my battery.

In the Control Panel / Power option there is no Advanced Tab.

Regards
    Eddie

12. DavidGP

Hi Eddie, yes do if not already turn them back on.

This is really a weird issue as you have many differing issues with multiple devices, and it would be at this point I personally would be doing a few things and first is to save and backup all your important documents, files, images, media etc (basically anything you feel is important, can also be Internet Favorites and settings for various applications)

Then the two are

1. We could try a few things to troubleshoot this and it not a short quick process as I'd want to be uninstalling to start with your Security applications fully and trying to also minimise the startups by uninstalling the applications that startup.

Would want to install a few of the PCs drivers again, namely the Chipset driver to start with. *placeholder for drivers HERE so I can find them easier again*

2. Do you have a Windows XP CD as a repair install or a clean install maybe a viable option at this point?

Depends what route you wish to take and I will go through them with you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds