USB ports continue to stop working for mouse.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by motc7, Jan 25, 2011.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I have a user who is continuing to have problems with his mouse not being recognized. however, other USB devices continue to be recognized. Here's what I've done up till now, bearing in mind this is a new computer, 8730w Elitebook on Win7 Pro 64 bit.

• Device manager, uninstalled all USB controllers, cold boot machine.
    • Updated chipset.
    • updated BIOS
    • tried different mouse.

Now, on the first item, I have done that, and it seems to work for a few days, but then bam, stops again. Now, he does hook up his iPhone for charging, but I don't have that problem on mine and we have the same machine. Any ideas?

He tried another mouse, and it said it could not install the device.

2. motc7

no ideas?

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Send it back.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, motc7.

You might take a look in BIOS, see if there's a 'disable legacy USB' setting. Do so if there is.

Also, check any Device Manager USB hubs for power management settings, make sure the machine's not cutting off the hubs to 'save power'.

5. motc7

Gotcha. will check that next time.

I will say that yesterday I did something weird. I unplugged the power, removed battery for a couple of minutes, restarted and things are fine.

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That reset the BIOS. It is good that seems to have fixed it, but a bit disturbing too. It suggests the BIOS (or CMOS settings actually) were corrupt. And they should not have been corrupt.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds