USB ports inoperable, error says, device descriptor request failed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lvstigers, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Lvstigers

Lvstigers Private E-2

I'm attempting to help my daughter fix her USB issue, so the information I have about the computer is minimal at this point. The computer is and HP Pavilion a6710t Desktop PC. It has a Foxconn motherboard. Here's the story, She's been using this computer for a couple of years, was running Window Vista. One day her wireless mouse and keyboard quit working. I gave her a usb mouse to try to no avail. The message when we plug any USB device that previously worked on her computer is 'Unknown sub device, device descriptor request failed'. After doing much research online and attempting a multitude of fixes from online sources I had the bright idea (being the computer genius that I am (NOT!)) to update her Operating system to either Windows 7 or Windows 8. She chose Windows 8. Here I'm thinking if I wipe the hard drive, do a clean install of Windows 8, the problem would be fixed. Boy was I wrong, still no USB ports are working. Makes no sense to me unless it's the hardware itself. Any suggestions? Ideas?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Based on what you have tried, it does seem to be a hardware error. One more thing to try is check the CMOS battery's voltage. It's usually a CR2032 rated at 3 Volt. Carefully remove it after unplugging the PC from the socket outlet, and check the voltage with a digital multimeter.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Does the keyboard work when the computer first powers up? This can be tested by pressing the key for setup to get you into the BIOS.

I've seen lots of cases where USB works to get into the BIOS but dies when the OS loads; it doesn't matter what OS. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solution.

One thing that did work on XP and might work on the computer running a newer OS is to disconnect the power cord for a desktop computer from the wall for 1/2 hour. Plug in again, fire up and for some strange reason the USB ports start to function. It is worth trying to see if it does anything.

4. Lvstigers

Lvstigers Private E-2

The keyboard does not work when the computer first powers up, a I attempted to get to the BIOS that way with no luck. Right now we have a ps/2 keyboard and mouse plugged in that are working. She does need her USB drives for her flash drive though. I'll have her unplug the computer tonight and see if that does anything. Thank you for your response!

5. Lvstigers

Lvstigers Private E-2

Well we had the original backup for the chipset driver which I ran. The motherboard seems to be communicating with the USB ports as they know when something is plugged in, they just can't identify what it is. Thank you for your response. I'll check into that link for the chipset driver, as far as I know this is the original motherboard. Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. Lvstigers

Lvstigers Private E-2

I did read something somewhere that made me think for a second about that little battery. I don't have a digital multimeter, would it be cheaper to just purchase a new battery and replace it?

7. Lvstigers

Lvstigers Private E-2

musksnipe I have checked your link, the motherboard in this computer is a foxconn? I'll get more information on it the next time I'm there.

8. plodr

Thank goodness the computer has PS/2 ports. Sadly, lots of desktop systems only have USB. When that goes down, you have no mouse or keyboard.

Go into the BIOS and double check that the USB ports are enabled.
    This might be different from your BIOS but the 3rd screen down shows USB configuration as a menu item
    http://www.legitreviews.com/foxconn-x38a-motherboard-review_619/5

9. Lvstigers

Lvstigers Private E-2

And the computer is fixed!! The winner is....ding ding ding!! Eldon!! It was the CMOS battery that was causing the problem. I remember now what made me think of the battery, my daughter told me she had tried unplugging the computer and plugging it back in as suggested in some post. When she plugged it back in the date was incorrect, which I knew was probably the CMOS battery, okay so it takes a bit for things to click sometimes, but I couldn't think of any reason (duh) why that would cause the USB ports to stop working. She said even the one port that quit working a long time ago now works. So hopefully this will help someone else along the way. For those of you that replied to this post, Thank you so much!! :)

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

That small $1 CMOS battery is often overlooked. On a friend's PC with no FDD installed, the BIOS was searching for the MBR on a floppy disc! All because the CMOS battery's voltage was to low.
    Good to know the PC is working. :celebrate

11. plodr

I never would have suspected the CMOS battery as the culprit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds