Usb ports not auto-detecting any device

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marlboro, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Marlboro

Marlboro Private E-2

Hi,

Just recovered my laptop from an infection that caused \system32\config\system errors on boot.

Used the Read & Run Me guide but still have a problem.

When I attach a usb device (flash stick, mouse, ext HDD) the item is not recognised.

However if I look in device manager the item appears with a yellow icon. Update driver works for flash but not other devices such as mouse.

Therefore I know its an XP problem and not port or ext device.

Would appreciate any help.

PC: Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-153 laptop running XPSP3

Kind Regards
    Brian

2. Marlboro

Marlboro Private E-2

Have tried deleting all usb device manager entries,then reboot and also Tosh site updates, including Bios.

Any Advice?

Regards
    Brian

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Sounds too me that you need the right driver for it Try looking on the web site.They should have a newer updated driver.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Did you when running the read and run me malware guide, post a thread in our malware forum with attached logs for the malware experts to review as not all the automated scans such as malwarebytes etc will remove all malware, the logs from MGTools are unique to Majorgeeks and need the experts to review then as they are manual logs that need a trained eye to see if you have any sneeky malware left.

There are some malwares that do stop the functionality of USB, as I have seen them quite often, so do run the guide and start a new thread in the malware forum with your logs attached and we can rule out malware.

When malware is ruled out, its likely you will need the Chipset installing again and a reboot and then any USB drivers from your maker HERE

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds