USB Printer to Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Journeyer, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Private E-2

I have a USB printer which I would like to set up as a standalone wireless printer, not directly connected to any network computer. The printer does not have an Ethernet port.

I have a Linksys WET11 wireless bridge left over from another project. According to the documentation, this would work for my configuration if the printer had an Ethernet port.

I can purchase a USB to Ethernet converter but would like to know if anyone has experience with that combination. The final configuration in my plan would be:

USB Printer to
    USB - Ethernet Adapter to
    Ethernet Cable Connection to
    Linksys WET11 Wireless Bridge resulting in
    Wireless Printer Access from Network Computers

Workable? I would appreciate comments, suggestions, before I bite the bullet for a USB to Ethernet adapter. ;)

Thanks.

2. the_g_bomb

the_g_bomb Private E-2

3. Journeyer

Journeyer Private E-2

Thanks for your response. A wireless print server would certainly be an option but I was interested in trying to recycle the Linksys wireless bridge if it's practical. The documentation indicates that one option for the bridge is to set up a wireless printer ... but I'd need a USB to Ethernet adapter to make the connection. Just thought I'd probe for thoughts on that configuration. Failing that ... I'll probably need to try a USB print server. I appreciate the amazon.com link.

4. the_g_bomb

the_g_bomb Private E-2

Then its the wired version you want.

The Print server acts as the usb to ethernet adapter and connects via an ethernet cable to the wireless bridge, which then connects to your wireless network.

From the sound of your post, you have seen a USB/Ethernet Adapter somewhere that you have in mind, maybe you could post details of it as I'm not sure if it will do what you hope it will.

I'm sure somebody could correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that USB Ethernet Adapters work only with computers and not with printers. I think they need drivers installed to make the conversion and may not have the right type of USB plug required. Printers have the square(ish) socket for the USB cable and these adapters are made for computers and so have the flat style of plug. I could be wrong though.

5. celreid

celreid Private E-2

Hi very interested in this thread. I have a HP G85 deskjet. It is connected to Dell desktop. There are also 3 laptops usually running simultaneously. All use Vista OS. These are all connected to a wireless router using broadband. Is it possible to connect a print server that all these could use? My deskjet is a great workhorse and I would hate to have to change it. I am not sure about the compatability of the print server and Vista.

Many thanks for all replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds