USB soundcard will not work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FredMadison, Jul 28, 2007.

1. FredMadison

FredMadison Private E-2

hi,

i have a Soundblaster USB soundcard (MP3+) that refuses to work on my desktop. actually, it will work 1 out of 100 times, but i have no idea what makes it decide to work (or not work).

[​IMG]

my system is:
    XP Pro SP2 Version 2002
    Pentium D 2.80GHz
    2GB RAM
    30GB HD, 1.65GB free space
    using a powered USB hub, all other attached devices work (wireless mouse, printer, digital camera). i have tried plugging the USB Soundcard directly into the desktop's USB port(s) and also switching around USB devices on the hub. all other devices still work, except the USB soundcard. when i plug the USB soundcard into my laptop, it works instantly.

i have also downloaded the device drivers for this device, but when i run the install program, it tells me that no USB soundcard is connected (even though it IS) and setup will now exit. i have swapped the USB cable on the device as well, and i am certain that the problem is not the USB cable.

any advice appreciated. thanks!

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It's possible your driver for it is not working right. Go to your Device Manager and look under Sound, Video, and Game Cotrollers and see if you have a ? or a ! in front of your sound card. If there is, you will need to re-install it. Do you have the install disc that came with your sound card?

3. FredMadison

FredMadison Private E-2

thanks for the quick reply.

as luck would have it, the soundcard has decided to WORK at the moment, so there are no question marks in front of anything in Device Manager. i was also able to install the driver update for the device, but it will not take effect until reboot - and since device is working now, i am afraid to reboot and then have it not work. rolleyes

what is weird is that in Device Manager it does not recognize the device by name. maybe it will once the new driver is installed.

but, no i do not have the disk which contained the drivers and some mostly unnecessary apps.

i'll reboot in a little while to see what happens. i guess i can always roll back the driver, if necessary (generic M$ driver). i'll post back with results.

thanks again.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Glad to help;) or at least in this case just give some advice:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds