USB Thumb Drive Problem/Repair

Discussion in 'Software' started by ljstc, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljstc

ljstc Private E-2

Hello Guys. My Geeksquad USB thumb drive all of a sudden stopped working. When I plug it in to any computer, it says "USB Device not recognized..." :cry The LED on the thumb drive lights up for 5 seconds then turns off. Im not thinking its a software problem since it happens on every computer I plug it into. Any ideas? Is there a way to remove the Hard drive (or whatever stores the memory) of the thumb and bring it to another working device?

Any links to videos/websites would be appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and service pack you using?

Do try this tho, enter Device Manager and then open the USB Controllers branch and then plug in your USB drive, when it shows in the list as a USB Mass driver, then right click and uninstall it, then unplug and re-plug it in and reinstall the driver.

3. ljstc

ljstc Private E-2

Thanks for the idea. But it did not work. When I open Device Manager and plug this certain Thumb drive in, under the USB controllers, it comes up as Unknown Device

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds