USB to 9-Pin Serial port adapters - problem with fix.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeff.saunders, Aug 7, 2013.

1. jeff.saunders

jeff.saunders Private E-2

Having installed a new Win 64-bit PC to replace an older XP PC in the warehouse, we had to hook-up a serial port scale to the new PC.

I bought a Gigaware USB-DB9 cable that comes with software drivers on CD. Installed the software, installed the cable, and nothing worked... I tried all the usual things - different com ports, 8 bit, 7 bit, odd and even parity - nothing worked.

As soon as I hooked the old M-F DB9 serial cable to the new USB-DB9 cable everything worked.

It seems the Gigaware cable/adapter doesn't consider flipping the pins to support a null-modem cable - and doesn't make any mention of needing an additional adapter.

The simple solution turned out to be installing a null-modem adapter to flip the send/receive pins.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds