USB3 external hd allows power to back into computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by massur, Mar 31, 2014.

1. massur

massur Private E-2

I have a hp desktop running win7/64 and have added a usb3 external hard drive. I find that the external wallwart power for the hard drive goes through the usb3 cable and into the computer. I discovered this when I noticed the lights on the front of the computer including the light on the power switch remained on even though the computer is completely shut down, I believe this is not supposed to happen and could cause damage to the computer. It may even produce a doubling of voltage on the usb buss under some circumstances. Isn't this an improper setup? Shouldn't the 2 power connections on the hard drive end of the cable be disconnected ?? Anyone familiar with this?:confused..

2. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Not Right!! See if you can get an RMA, it should not have any feed back!

3. massur

massur Private E-2

Thanks old phil
    I agree but store geeks and others at other forums do not seem to have a clue

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds