use codec from other avi

Discussion in 'Software' started by pees, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pees

pees Private E-2

I have a mp3/avi player. The preinstalled movie works fine.
    But i can't play an other avi. Gspot said on original file:
    User Data / Metadata
    [ISFT] MEncoder Sherpya-MinGW-20051012-4.0.2
    [USER] XviD0039

Audio:
    0x0050 MPEG-1 Layer 2
    Video:
    XVID > XviD 1.1 beta 2

How can I use these codecs in a new avi movie?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You should be able to play any DivX encoded video file (.avi, .mpeg) if you have the DivX codec installed. (Not to be confused with the DivX player, which last I checked, was adware supported)

However, if you are like me, you may not want to bother messing with codecs at all! I use a app called VLC Media Player. This player has just about every codec you could ever need built in. It has played every video file I've ever come across. Best of all, its free and lightweight. I rate this as a must have program.

3. pees

pees Private E-2

Sorry, but i want to play those movies on a portable mp3/mp4 player. But only the original AVI file is working on this device. I'm familiair with VLC.
    I've installed the newest DIVX codecs. Same result: Nothing to watch

4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

5. freddyzdead

freddyzdead Private E-2

What's wrong with you lot? The poor guy is talking about a CHIPOD mp3/avi player. Your suggestions are meaningless.

Here's the deal: Most of these players use the Rockchip, which has an avi decoder, but only understands one codec, which is identified as Xvid. Although it is based on Xvid, it is different enough that movies encoded with the real xvid won't play. The codec is called Sherpya and is unique to China. There are no standalone versions, all that is available are some versions of MEncoder that have been compiled with this codec built-in. Usually, the player comes with a conversion utility which will change movies into the right format, but they usually are sparse on options, and tend to make large files.

If you google for rockchip, sherpya, converter, et al, you should find links to converters that will work. If you are really lucky, this utility will have an ini file, wherein you can change some parameters such as bitrate and aspect ratio. You may have to do some preprocessing of the clip in, say, VirtualDub, possibly boosting the brightness/contrast, but especially as to the audio, which is commonly way too weak to use. What I do is strip the audio track using V-Dub, change it to mp3 using dbPowerAmp (if it isn't already mp3), then use mp3Trim Pro to bring up the volume level. It is common to find a movie with the audio 20 db down from what it should be. (This is unusable, and is usually as a result of a decoded ac3 track where the decoder didn't account for the Dialnorm parameter. But that's another story.) Then I use V-Dub to mux the adjusted audio track back into the video and save it as a new clip.

Note that for the Rockchip players, the audio must be mp2, not mp3. The conversion utility takes care of this. All you have to do is boost the level.

I have my encoding setup configured this way: I have 3 aspect ratios available, 16:9, 2.23:1 and Full (4:3). For portable use, I have the bitrate set to 100. This gives a lot of artifacts, but they are not visible on the 2.5 " screen. A typical movie comes out at 120 megs or so, which is one-third the size of the ones produced by the unmodified converter. Also, I use 56k for the audio bitrate, which is not exactly hi-fi, but is good enough. Space is the most precious commodity in a portable device; I can fit 15-20 movies, as well as hundreds of audio tracks and a bunch of text e-books on my 4 gig Chipod, and it's not full yet.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Sigh, why, oh why are people replying to a 2 year old thread when hundred of people need help today?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds