use external hard drive to back up and restore system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikeatic, Feb 19, 2006.

1. mikeatic

mikeatic Private E-2

:) I have a pentium 4 with 512 ram and 80 gb hard drive. I run XP Home but may soon upgrade to XP Pro. Can any anyone explain, in easy to understand language, whether it is possible to easily back up my whole computer system to an external hard drive, and then update it on a regular basis? I had a virus that destroyed my system restore option and see this as a way of avoiding this problem in future.

2. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Useless answers like this in future will be deleted and/or you will be! if you cannot answer the question properly then don't reply at all.

to answer the question you can use your external drive to store a clone or image file of your complete OS and software installation, this will allow you if you have a problem to quickly restore back to a point in which you knew your PC was working fine, just as if you'd never had the problem in the first place....

Software to use can be Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost which are two of the popular ones.

we had a discussion on this subject here if you'd like to read as it may answer a few questions for you http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=85443

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds