Used Different Recovery Disc and Crashed

Discussion in 'Software' started by alexcelestin98, May 31, 2006.

1. alexcelestin98

alexcelestin98 Private E-2

I have an compaq deskpro which works on windows Me. i used an emachines revcovery disc which uses windows xp. i, now, cant get passed the bios screen which tells me i need to insert disc. i don't have a recovery disc for the compaq. how do i go about correcting this problem? will a windows me program disc fix the problem?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Weird one. Disk floppies, disk CD, not sure which is which here? If you have XP cd, put it in and voot from that.

3. alexcelestin98

don't have recovery disc CD for compaq with windows me. will a windows me disc CD restore function to my computer.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

5. alexcelestin98

i tried to load a windows Me boot disk. the computer responded with the same phrase: Invalid system disk
    Replace the disk, and then press any
    key

6. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

An Emachine Recovery Disk is simply a Ghosted Image of the Emachines initial load. I don't think your going to fool the HP into taking it, the MOBO and CPU will not match and you'll mostlikely end up with BSOD if you do get it to load.

7. alexcelestin98

thanks, everyone that responded. since last time, i've attempted a full version 98 install. all was going well until i got a message that i have an operating system installed already and that i would need a 98 upgrade disk instead of the full version. does this mean i have 95 on the computer already? (does this mean all i would need is a 95 boot disk to get going?)

8. gone2tokyo

gone2tokyo Private E-2

Alex,
    If I can please just ask you a quick question. Do you have any data on the computer that you want to keep, or do you want a brand new clean boot of windows? Please respond so we can help you further. Thanks!

Randy O.

9. alexcelestin98

at this point, i'll take a working computer. i don't expect to retrieve. thanks.

10. AKLonewolf

AKLonewolf Private E-2

This might be a stupid question, but did you go into the BIOS and change your primary boot device to the CD instead of the HDD? AND...I can't stress enough how fast you need to get rid of Windows ME.

It DOES matter what Recovery CD you use. The eMachine CD is supposed to work with their hardware and it is configured for that. The other thing to consider is if you tried to use an XP cd, it should read as a bootable CD after you change your Boot Priority in BIOS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds