"user account" issue on my sons computer, Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Software' started by cherish99, Mar 15, 2009.

1. cherish99

cherish99 Private E-2

I can not log on to my son's computer as an Administrator. The only thing that shows at start up is his 'limited user' account. I can not log out of that. I have tried access in safe mode, I have gone to computer management and I have tried 'regedit'. None work, all show errors or access denied. I am sure it is not a virus, it is something that I did to keep control of the computer. I just don't understand how I can not get back to an administrator account. Any suggestions? Many thanks for any help!

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Seeing as how the Administrator account is usually the one that is not allowed to be deleted, I'd like to know what accounts are available at the login screen in "Safe Mode"? And are you sure you in safe mode? Make sure you are pressing F8 immediately after the BIOS screen disappears, even just before it does, and select safe mode from the boot menu by highlighting it and pressing enter.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. cherish99

cherish99 Private E-2

Just my son's account as a limited user. I can see my account, my name, but it will not let me access it. Thanks

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del TWICE at the welcome screen, this will bring up a login dialog. Enter administrator and the password into the login dialog see what happens.

You could also try your name and password.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Maybe the son has done something to keep you off.

6. the mekanic

Normally you can't change the Administrator's name, just the picture or password. That is why I'm thinking you may not be at the Safe Mode welcome screen. Are you sure you are in Safe Mode?

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to the mekanic
    As an experiment, after your posted answer, I went to Start, Control Panel, User Accounts. It did let me change my Administrators name.
    (Windows XP Home SP3)

8. the mekanic

In safe mode? I just tried it over here, and the only options I get are for password, picture, and setup .net passport. The laptop is Windows XP (SP3). Maybe he changed it outright in the beginning from the normal boot menu...

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

No. I tried mine in normal mode.

10. the mekanic

We'll have to wait on cherish99 for more definitive details...

11. the mekanic

Double checked the admin options in normal boot. From the welcome screen, CTRL-ALT-DEL twice, and enter Administrator. After logon, went to Control Panel>User Accounts>Change an account>Administrator. No can do on changing the name over here. It's the best way to go about things if you have trouble with access using Normal Boot.

For sanity's sake reasons, the name of the Administrator cannot be changed to my knowledge. It is intended as a failsafe mechanism.

"The Administrator account is only visible on the Welcome Screen when no other user accounts exist (excepting the Guest Account), or when you start your computer in Safe Mode."

Administrator priveleges do not the Administrator make.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  12. cherish99

cherish99 Private E-2

Oh My!!! I finally got it!!!! Jeepers guys, you are the best!!!:-D

13. the mekanic

Naahhhh...

Most of us have been frustrated by Microsoft and the PC boogeyman for a VERY looooooooong time.

Not to mention remedial "tech support".

You're very welcome!!!!!! :wave

14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

How did you accomplish it?

15. cherish99

cherish99 Private E-2

Oh My!!! I finally got it!!!! Jeepers guys, you are the best!!!:-D

16. the mekanic

WELL, how did you pull it off?

17. cherish99

cherish99 Private E-2

well, I don't know exactly how I did, all I know is, his account is there and is now an admin, my account is there as an admin AND there is just an admin account. Now, I have some issue with Netware, but I am working thru it. Ya'll are fantastic!!! love to all that helped shove me in the right direction!!!!:-D

18. the mekanic

OK, and depending on his age, you may want to login and change him to a limited account. I've never found it a good idea to grant minors unrestricted access to the internet. Not only can kids be impetuous, but there are a great many unscrupulous characters out there. Especially in these desperate times...

Once again, you're welcome. Always.

19. cherish99

cherish99 Private E-2

Geez, I will go right back and limit him! Thanks for the reminder, I was sooooo excited about everything that I forgot my point of even doing what I was doing! Again, ya'll are the best, and even looking out for me!! I can't begin to thank you enough!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds