User Account Picture

Discussion in 'Software' started by timw128, Mar 4, 2012.

1. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Hello-
    I am using Windows XP Professional 2002 x86 SP3. I use the Windows log on screen because I need to password protect my pc because of the nature of work that I do. My install of XP is relatively fresh and the only issue I am experiencing is that I can't change the picture on the log on screen. I know, it sounds trivial, but it makes me wonder what other issues are going on that I am not aware of. I have posted on a couple of other Forums with no resolution to this issue. I have run 'sfc.exe /scannow' with no luck. In 'User Accounts', I am the only User and Administrator. Any help towards resolution would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I am confused and think I am missing something. I am unsure what /scan now has to do with changing your profile picture.

1.In Control Panel, double-click User Accounts.
    2.Click the account for which you want to change the picture.
    3.Click Change the picture.
    4.Click a picture in the window, or click Browse for More Pictures, and then click the picture that you want to use.
    5.When this picture is highlighted in the window, click Change Picture.

Note that this is not supported on computers that are a member of a domain.

Am I missing the bigger picture here?

3. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Well 'Major Attitude', I don't know what your missin'... I thought I was rather straight forward in description.
    You are correct in the Control Panel option, and yes, within the Control Panel the picture does change.
    As I originally posted, the problem is with the Windows log on screen, where you apply a password to log on to Windows. Right next to where you enter the password, there is a picture, which is supposed to be the User Account picture. I used to be able to change that, per your Control Panel suggestion, but it is stuck on the picture of the chess pieces. This just started happening a bit ago. Now, it is known that 'sfc /scannow' will put the Windows file system/ tables back in their design intent.
    Oh, by the way, System Restore to an earlier (much so!) didn't correct, either.
    I don't know how much more clear I can explain this issue. Would you like me to attempt to post a Screen Shot?...

4. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Here's a Screen Shot:

[​IMG]

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I guess I was confused as to why system restore or system file checker would have anything to do with the pictures, not to mention a relatively fresh install.

As you mentioned: "I know, it sounds trivial, but it makes me wonder what other issues are going on that I am not aware of."

You might not be getting an answer because its just something people would not pay attention to nor care about. I doubt there is a bigger issue anywhere over this. I thought when the account was setup you could change your picture there and I will have to admit I am stumped and have no further ideas.

Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

6. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hi,

Can you try the following:

Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on and off -> Uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen" -> Apply Options.

Then [​IMG] -> Logoff
    Log back into Windows using your password

Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Choose "TimTim's Puter" -> Change My Picture -> (choose the picture you like) -> Change Picture -> Change My Picture (correct, do this twice) -> Choose the same picture as before -> Change Picture -> Now leave User Accounts

Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on and off -> Checkmark "Use the Welcome Screen" -> Apply Options.

Then [​IMG] -> Logoff

Hopefully picture is now changed ;)

7. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Thanks, 'thisisu' and 'Major Attitude', I appreciate your help, however the latest suggestion didn't work, either. I am running a Modified theme in Display Properties>Themes, rather than the default Windows XP theme. It shouldn't make a difference, though. The reason for this is that I am using a custom icon pkg. for the Windows icons (My Computer, My Documents, etc.). The User Acct. picture changes just fine in Control Panel (See attach'mt), but won't change on Welcome screen nor show up at all at the top of the Start Menu, next to my name.

[img=http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4670/controlpanelw.th.png]

[img=http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5880/desktopax.th.png]

8. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Right, it shouldn't make a difference. For troubleshooting purposes though, you may need to try to revert to the default Windows XP theme to see if that fixes the issue you are having. Good luck!

Also you may want to temporarily disable/uninstall any customization related items in the Add/Remove Programs.

9. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

From the appearance of your screenshots, it appears that the Themes service is not running. Is this something that you intentionally disabled?
    With the Themes service not running you won't have an account picture on your start menu, but it shouldn't cause any problems with the picture displayed at the log on screen.

10. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Thanks, '_nullptr' for your input. Yes, the Themes service is running and set on Automatic. I tried reverting back to the Windows XP theme, instead of Modified theme in Display Properties to no avail. I do not want to do a Repair on the OS installation.
    With this said, I don't think the Modified Theme has anything to do with this issue. I have used a Modified Theme for some time and the User Acct. picture function worked fine. I'm not sure when this issue transpired, so a System Restore is out of the question- as I have made a host of other changes, too. The Registry key for the display of User Acct. is set at '0' in 'HKCU' and 'HKLM'. Yes, I had to add those keys, as they didn't exist.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds