User Account programs not starting

Discussion in 'Software' started by starfire, Mar 11, 2010.

1. starfire

starfire Private E-2

Hello,

Not sure why this happened but I discovered just today that the User Account (limited) for my sister is not functioning properly in that the programs that are supposed to start once she logs in is not starting anymore. Only 2 items appear in the task bar area now - sound and network connection icons. Symantec, ad-aware, Dell quickset/touchpad, MSN Messenger, etc are all supposed to start as well. How can I restore these programs for her account?

Help appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The simplest method would be to drag shortcuts for the programs into the 'Startup' folder on the account's Start menu.

(There is also a file location that corresponds to this menu that's probably easier to work with, especially on XP, but you haven't specified the operating system for me to give you an exact path)

You may also want to verify that the services for your security apps (if any) are installed and running when Windows loads, BEFORE a user logs in, even. (The startup folder is user-specific, and works only on logon)

To do so, please try the following:

1. Hit windows key + r (Or click Start --> Run on Win2K/XP, or just Start, and into the search bar in Vista/Win7)
    2. Type services.msc, and press enter (you may need to allow UAC in Vista/Win7)

This will bring up the services list. Ensure that any items here associated with your security apps are there, and set to 'Automatic' under 'Startup Type'

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds