User login on Win2000 fails if password is specified

Discussion in 'Software' started by FiveStarsRising, Feb 23, 2004.

1. FiveStarsRising

FiveStarsRising Private E-2

I'm setting up a new (old Dell CPx) laptop running Win2000. When I create a new user with admin rights, and give that user a password, then try to login as that user with a password, it fails with an error that either the password or domain is incorrect.

I'm using a wireless card to connect to a Netgear router that connects to DSL. But admitedly am relatively new at setting up home (or any) network. I can login to the system as admin, with no password, but obviously would like everything to be password protected. I've checked the property settings on the user, am not using a login script or domain (that I'm aware of), but cannot see any other setting that needs chsnging.

Can you point me in the right direction?

thanks
    FSR

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

was this laptop part of a domain previously or is it a new installation of the OS?

3. FiveStarsRising

It had been on a domain previously, but I did a fresh install of the OS with a complete reformat of the drive.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

did you add this machine to a domain? because it sounds like you're trying to authenticate to a domain and not the local workstation.

5. FiveStarsRising

Nope, not that I'm aware of. :eek:
    If I check under Network & Connections, I see a Local Area Connection for the Wireless card is enabled, but properties on this don't show any domain name. Am I checking the correct place? Or where else would I look to validate what it thinks the domain is. (see, told you I was novice at this...).

Thanks for the help.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

when you login there should be an options or advanced button. That will expand the login box to show you a domain text box. Make sure it says the name of your machine.

7. FiveStarsRising

Weird thing is, it doesn't show an option for a domain. Any other suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds