User Permissions in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by ItsWendy, May 19, 2007.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Guys, I'm sorry about being a pest.

How do I check user permissions? Especially for software?

I bolixed up my computer, see http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=126677

My AVG no longer works, when I try to update the definitions I get the message...

Update process could not be finished due to insufficient free disk space or insufficient user rights.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

You should be able to find this in Control Panel under User Accounts. Hope this helps!:)

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I've looked at it, but I don't have a clue why AVG is doing what it is. BTW, my only account is administrative. At this point I think I'll try a lot harder to fix whatever is causing the problem, since my main complaints have been resolved.

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

5. Cat_w_9_lives

Sry, link will not post right, solution is

Sounds like your AVG may have gotten corrupted.

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package
    2. Run the AVG Free install file
    3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
    4. Restart your computer then...
    5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

6. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I tried downloading the package again, and repairing the installation, with no luck on AVG.

Something else has cropped up, my favorites are gone, and can't come back. I tried saving a known website (this one as a matter of fact), and the computer responded with something like "Site already exists, do you want to overwrite it?". I answered yes, and still had nothing in my favorites. Looks like I don't have permissions to look at my own favorites. I did a search on drive C: for "favorites", 3 things poped up, but none of them were it.

It appears that my admistrative account has been corrupted somehow. Maybe a repair will fix it. I've never done a repair. What are the odds?

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Favorites are only websites you tagged to be favorites within IE. (I.E., book marks).

Assuming xp:
    They are located within c:\documents and settings\%username%\Favorites

In addition, if xp, is this xp home or pro?

8. Cat_w_9_lives

Sry did not see post 3, was posting 4, and thought AVG was the only problem left.
    Could the local profile be corrupt or missing?

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

I like the avatar, Cat_W_9_Lives....

Anyway....which profile is corrupt? The account that Bill is using or the default profile?

Only real way to test this, is to create a new account, and log in with that one. All programs will be available, but old docs will have to be moved over and such.

10. Cat_w_9_lives

[
    thanks TF

[/QUOTE]

I'm a lil geek, u MG, think this needs a MG fix, should he try the create a new acct or something else?

11. Cat_w_9_lives

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Do a disk cleanup and delete your Temporary Internet Files, then try the AVG update again.

Also, click Start > Run > and type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Be sure to pay attention to the spaces. See if that brings the "program" list back.

Steve

13. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I am using an OEM copy of XP Pro. What this does for me I have no clue (I seem to be saying the no clue thing a lot). I just went back to my last restore point, because I keep opening up my entire hard drive for sharing, which I also keep being told is a bad thing, especially if I want to fix this problem, so for the duration I won't do that. I like having full access to all my files over my LAN, there are many times I am modifying my directory remotely, but until these problems are fixed I'll refrain.

I do not want to start from scratch unless it is really necessary. My logic is I will do it again, so I want to figure out how to fix the problem. I am not always that sharp, but I can be a bulldog when I get a problem like this in my teeth, so I may ask the same questions several times several different ways if I don't understand what I'm reading. Please bear with me.

The restore brought all my programs listing back, as well as my icons (I suspect the two are aspects of the same thing), so do I still need to run
    Start > Run > and type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll ?

The two problems left are the AVG updates problem, which is persistant, and the favorites, which seems to be yeilding to a new user account.

I am not too familiar with user accounts, but I am learning. I created a new user account (administrative), and seem to be able to save my favorites again. I have lost all my old favorites, but this is no big deal (remember, I am not doing anything that I can't loose, still in learing mode on this OS).

None of the favorites moved with the new account, but at least I can create a new one. One problem down.

So we're back to AVG being messed up. When I say a file is correpted this is only a theory. I don't have a clue (hmmm, deja vu). As far as I am concerned, this is the only remaining problem from my last attempted at cleaning out the HD. Right now my internet history files are still empty, one of the reasons I cleaned them is I wanted to remove all vestages of a bad folding at home install. I will be a lot more circumspect as to what I clean in the future, Win98SE didn't let this utility trash the computer like XP seems too.

One other thing, it might relate. In updating my ATI files (I was using the XP defaults on the drivers) I installed and reinstalled .net 1.0 several times (more than 2), then did the same thing on .net 2.0 (more than 2). This may have set up the original crash to my thinking. After the restore it looks like I will have to reinstall them again (actually, .net 2.0).

AVG did come up like it was just installed under the new profile, but I tried to update the program it came up with the same error message. I guess the last thing left is to uninstall it and retry an installation under the new profile. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, looking with explorer at the (now) 2 user names I'm not seeing a favorites folder in either. With the new account this could be I haven't done a shut down, or it could be the files are invisible, I just don't know yet.

Guys, anyone who has tried to help me, Thank You. I'm not as stupid as I seem sometimes, but I am methodical. I want to learn this right dang it!

14. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

OK, the reinstall on AVG worked, but this brings up several other issues. Unless the answers are easy I'll probably bring them up in another thread.

Doing the restore all files that were downloaded after that date disappeared. From what I've read this wasn't expected. It appears the computer reverted to the state it was in at the time of the restore, files included. This is fine by me, but did I misread the earlier posts?

I still don't see my favorites folder. This doesn't seem right. I'll show an attachment of my explorer page. What am I missing, and where might it be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love photobucket, another one I owe MG for showing me.

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I believe that -If you saved files to folders, they will still be there.
    If you had Windows, or, AVG updates they will not.

16. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Doesn't appear to be the case. You'll note I have a folder that is not directly created by windows, Downloads, in the root directory. Several new files disappeared that I will have download again, namely the ATI video card drivers. They are easy to replace, but they are definately gone. Same with some documents I had, notes for my kid for school.

On a different issue I also don't see any favorite folders, including under my new account "fix". I'd like to find them for future reference.

I have to conclude that restore "saw" the files were newer than my restore and eliminated them.

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry Bill, I just tried to remember, and must have got it wrong
    Try --open up Windows Explorer. On the left side, click on the + sign next to the Windows folder to expand it. Still on the left side, look to see if your Favourites folder is there, and if it is there, left-click just on over it. Then, on the right, you should see a list of all the folders and shortcuts.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  18. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Check the attachments out, it's all there.

But to doublecheck, I just did it again, nothing.

19. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I meant the Windows folder, down the bottom, above your rom drive

20. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

No, you got the program list back.

Steve

21. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Still don't see it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Thanks. What does it do specifically?

23. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

24. Cat_w_9_lives

Hi all,

Look at 2nd screenshot in post 21, under Control Panel, does not look right.
    See pic, attached his/mine, looks like folders are in his panel?
    If I'm off base, sry.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  25. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

You're in different areas, look at the bottom of my list, you'll see my shared documents.

26. Cat_w_9_lives

Yes, I see them but mine are in a seperate dir. see the lil + sign b-4 mine, I don't see one b-4 yours...not really up on this tho, so maybe someone will clue us in.

27. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Probably because it's empty, remember, it's a new install (relatively speaking).

28. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry Bill, you were looking in the right place, I had to refresh my memory, and look it up on mine.
    I just cannot remember the drill on this.

29. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I done a global search on "favorites" and "favour" on drive C:. So far Nada. Again, when I save a website I've had previous it comes back with it already exists, overwrite? The difference is, now it shows up on my favorites, so at least that is working. I just need to find out where it is stashed on my hard drive.

30. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have looked on all users, and others, on my computers, and it should be between Desktop, and start menu, and it should show up on your attatched screen you posted.
    I am sure it is a simple fix, something like unhide folders, but I cannot for the life of me , remember.

31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When you open the documents and settings folder, click tools, folder options, under general, you can try clicking restore defaults, first. (just note down the settings before changing)
    Also, clicking on view, again click restore defaults.,

32. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Found it!

explorer/tools/folder options/view

Click show hidden files and folders

Somehow during the SNAFU the files had become hidden and read only.

Problem solved in entirety.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  33. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Great - I knew it was there, somewhere- well done Bill. I might remember that, again, now, (at least until I get up in the morning.)
    Getting old, the grey cells get foggy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds