User policies

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leepy Lee, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

My HP 7250 has three users set up on it, including the HP Administrator.

When it's been left switched on but with no users logged on for a few hours, the LAN and internet connection stop working. So when a user logs on, the LAN and internet connection do nothing.

As the administrator I can right click the LAN icon in the tray and click disable. Then go to Network connections and click enable. This starts the LAN and automatically the internet connection.

When a non administrator user logs on, the disable LAN option is greyed out, so the only option is either for me to log on and do the procedure, or simply to reboot the PC.

Where or how do I edit the policy that will enable the LAN disable option for non administator users?

I've opened the group policy editor and read a lot of the options in there but am not confident I'd alter the right thing.

Any pointers please...
    Cheers,
    Lee

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Suspect its not a group policy problem ....suspect it has to do with the nic card being set to "allow this device to be turned off when ..." issue ...:)

3. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

That surely wouldn't account for the fact that the disable option is available from the administrator account but not from an ordinary user account....

4. TimW

Haven't had to do this before ....but you could go to control panel / admin tools / computer management / expand local users and groups / click on groups / right click network config .../ properties and add the user accounts ...does that work?

5. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

No, the disable option is still greyed out.

Anyone any other ideas please?

6. TimW

7. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

Have followed those instructions but the disable option is still greyed out for the ordinary users.

Cheers

8. TimW

Start / run / type "gpedit.msc" without qoutes ....then click on dministrative templates under the user configuration ....click on network then click on network components ....on the left, look for prohibit items (with regard to the lan settings) and make sure none are set to enable or disable ...should be set to not configured.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds