Users missing from control panel

Discussion in 'Software' started by hankyknot, Jun 5, 2007.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

When I start the PC there are two users shown that can log in, both are password protected. No biggie, just star in safe mode, log in as administrator and change the passwords right?

Well Yes & No.

Only one of the accounts is visible under Users in Control Panel.

How can I find and then change the password on the other one?

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

In XP Home the "Administrator" account only works in safe mode. For XP Pro I use TweakUI to set the machine to show the "Administrator" account, which I change the name of in control panel, administrative tools, local security policy.
    Bug

3. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

YOu seem to have misread the post. I am not trying to see the administrator account ot of safe mode. I am trying to see ALL of the user accounts in safe mode.

In normal mode
    2 User Accounts - both password protected

In Safe Mode
    1 User Account + 1 administrator
    User is password protected, administrator is not

Log in as administrator and change the password for the user account that shows in safe mode. But unable to see the other user account, do not get the option to log into it in safe mode and when I go through Control Panel, Users, there is only one user account showing.

4. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Problem solved. Limited Users do not appear in safe mode.

I ended up starting i safe mode, logging in as administrator and changing the password for the account I could see. I then restarted in normal mode and logged into the account whos password I had just changed. This allowed me to change the password for the other account and make it a full administrator account. Restart in safe mode and ran all scans and fixed all problems :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds