Using A Hard Drive With Bad Sectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenhut, Aug 10, 2017.

1. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Hi folks
    Have started a new thread as advised and as a step on from the folowing thread
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/bsod.316856/

Basically. I have 2 drives of 500gb
    one had 7 errors and I was having regular bsod issues.
    other was used for storage only.
    Have duplicated the C drive on to the D so D is now C.

lap top is running fine now and its time to return the old C drive in the D slot which is now formatted.
    Have used partition manager to create a 350 gb drive and 150gb hidden partition.
    Surface test indicates 4 errors in the last 20% of the 350gb partition.

Are there steps to take now before putting the drive back in the laptop ?
    AsI say, the drive will only be used for photo storage and backed up to an EHD monthly
    TIA

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

greenhut likes this.
  3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do pay particular attention to the last paragraph of that How-To Geek article,
    So in addition to making sure you maintain current backups, I suggest you run chkdsk (with no switches - for now - is fine) again every couple weeks for awhile. If chkdsk encounters new disk errors, I would assume the drive is failing and start shopping for a replacement.

Note chkdsk alone (without /r) just checks the disk. It will not attempt any repairs, thus is much much faster to complete. But if it finds problems, you should run chkdsk /r again, backup and buy that replacement.

greenhut likes this.
  4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Good advice from Digerati .

If you hid the section with the errors, and use the other part, and as Digerati said, check every so often that more errors do not appear, then all should be good.
    I did not advise, previously running chkdsk, with the /r switch as it could take a long while (much longer than the other one)- I only suggested that on the copied drive, as it is now your operating system drive.
    You could just run Advanced system care, to see if those bad sectors are now on the hidden partition- for peace of mind- otherwise , all should be good- might be worth saving for a replacement in the future- you said in your last post that you needed more backup space, so with that in mind.......

greenhut likes this.
  5. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Drive put back into machine but it aint showing under my pc
    it is showing in disk management but has no id allocated to it

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Right click it in Disk Management and select Change Drive letter and paths and let Windows assign a drive letter.

greenhut likes this.
  7. greenhut

greenhut Private E-2

Those options were not available/greyed out.
    I did however find via partition manager that the drive was hdden.
    Does now show, so all being well everything should be fine.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The main partition should not be hidden, the smaller partition is best hidden, so that you do not use that partition.
    Did you format the new partition(s) ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds