Using a recovery disk on a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by shepherd, Nov 17, 2011.

1. shepherd

shepherd Private E-2

My hard drive is about to die I suspect, so I am replacing it soon. However I don't have the original Windows cd, only a recovery disk from the manufacturer. Can I install this on a new hard drive?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Yes, you can, but the new disk needs to be at least as big as the old one or it may not work. If the disk is larger you may find there is unallocated space on the new disk, which you can then use for another partition or to expand the main one into.

3. shepherd

shepherd Private E-2

Thanks Earthling

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Ask the manufacturer. There are two kinds of recovery CDs. One allows you to restore the computer to the factory settings because it looks for a hidden partition on the hd to work; the other allows you to install on any hard drive as long as it is installed into the original computer.

5. shepherd

shepherd Private E-2

Thanks plodr - I'll check.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds