Using External HD to Hold Music/Movie/Game Files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bekka24, Apr 15, 2007.

1. bekka24

bekka24 Private E-2

confused :(
    Okay, here's the question. I am running a desktop PC, A HP Pavilion with Windows XP that is about 4 years old. I now have an Itunes library which is taking up about 43GB of space on my computer. I also play an online game which takes up 1640.00MB. I have about 4.6GB of free space left on my computer. I went and bought an External Hard Drive, a WD Passport 1200 series. It has 120GB of space. Right now it has a program called WD Sync installed and it only backs up my files, so if I delete something off my c: drive it goes through the "sync" program and deletes it off the external hard drive. I don't want to use the harddrive to only backup my existing material, but instead I want to use it to hold my music and game files, and have the programs like Itunes read the files directly from the external hard drive. Is this possible? and if so how do I do this?

I tried to give all the specs I thought were relevant but if anything else would be helpful please let me know and I can provide them.

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Plug in your WD Passport drive.

Open <My Computer> and double click on the WD Pasport Drive. Right click in the blank area of the next window that appears and click <new>, <Folder>. Rename the folder <Itunes>.

Open your iTunes software as you normally do. Click <File> from the top toolbar and <Add new folder to library>. In the window that appears, navigate to the WD Passport drive and then to the iTunes folder you just created. Click once on the iTunes folder to highlight it and then click <OK>

To get your current iTunes music onto the WD Passport drive, in the iTunes software click on <Music> in the left-hand toolbar. Click on the first song that appears and using SHIFT and the down arrow key, highlight ALL of your music. Then on the highlighted area right click and select <COPY>. Go to My Computer and right click on the iTunes folder you created then select <Paste>.

You can then delete the iTunes music from your C Drive to create more room.

3. bekka24

bekka24 Private E-2

:)
    Thank you very much for your help! I will try this as soon as I get home from work. Do you know if this will work also for game files? Creating a folder and then installing to that folder on the passport drive?

Thanks again! I will let you know if I am successful!

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

In theory it should work, but I'm not a gamer, so maybe someone else here could add comment to that side of things for you :)

Just a note: please test the music files in the passport drive by playing some of them before deleting ANYTHING from the C drive ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds